Thread: 3SGE New Clutch

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3SGE New Clutch

Hi Everyone,
    What is the best suitable clutch for a fairly stock gen1 3SGE that takes a lot of hammering from time to time?

I have an option of F1 Stage 3, Valeo, or PBR. I do not wish to go genuine toyota on this one.

If I get a performance clutch like the F1 Stage 3, will it in any way wear out my gearbox faster than normal?

Note: Sorry if I sort of double posted, as I don't think my old post was able to attract much attention of the folk on the forum, so I'm just going to do individual threads on my requirements. I do not intend to spam

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Rhyno's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGE New Clutch

Hi Mate,

I have a Camry with a 3SGE in it with a Sports clutch of unknown origin. My best bet would be go for a stage 2 or one up from Totoya genuine for the level of mods you have done. Also you will still have (some, not much) slip in your clutch, which is always good for parking etc etc

The new clutch may wear out your gear box faster, but only due to the addintional clamping force that can be applied to your flywheel, and thus transferred onto your gearbox. Similar to putting larger tyres on your car will put more load on the rest of the drivetrain.

Realisticly they are a pretty strong gearbox standard. I have a mate with a 162 with a 3SGTE bolted up to pushing over 300hp at the wheels. He reguarly does burnouts taking off in 2nd gear (Got enough torque to not have to use first!), and the only thing he has changed in twelve month's has been his CV's.

So I think you will be right mate

Kind Regards,

Ryan

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

My PBR is pretty average gear. Nothing on the exedy unit that came out of my vehicle. My S53 ran into syncro issues from flat shifting into second too much, sometimes without the clutch, took 200,000km of my hideous abuse before I had to nanna shift into 2nd, then 3rd syncro went too (380,000km on the car though).

As long as the F1 stage 3 is a sprung center it shouldn't kill gearboxes unless you try really hard.

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

your 3sge is in a st162 im assuming?

get a stock clutch if the motor is more or less standard..

OR if you do some motor sports with the car then maybe i'd consider a stage2 clutch (full sprung center)

I've had four different exedy heavy duty clutches (stage2) in four different cars so far. fine for the street and neither have given me issues. (in a st162 turbo, jza70 supra,4ag ke70 sedan and in my 4ag panelvan)
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Yeh, its an ST162. I don't do motorsporting, but every now and again, I do floor it really hard; rev consistent 6k etc etc.