Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W58 into TA22

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

Default W58 into TA22

hi guys,

FIRSTLY i have searched the old forums but i couldnt get enough info to be certain of what i need. so i am going to ask here and maybe even have this as an article for people in future.

i want to put a W58 in the TA22 for the 3TGTE motor i have. now i have the following

- W58 box
    - W-T bellhousing
    - W58 tailshaft yoke
    - clutch fork

what i want to know is what is required to get the box in and ready...

1 - what cross member do i need? i have heard that i will require an auto TA22 Xmember, can i use the manual one? or any other?

2 - also when the cross member is on, will it fit the original bolt holes? if not, what have people done to get around this?

3 - what slave cylinder have people used? should i just get an original W58 cylinder or is the T bellhousing differnet and therefore i will require a differenet slave cylinder (possibly just use the original T50 slave cylinder)?

4 - what clutch will i need? obviously the input shaft between the T50 and W58 are different and therefore i cant use a T50 clutch setup. so what should i buy? maybe if someone could give me a part number or something or will i need one custom made to fit the 3TGTE flywheel and W58 input shaft?

also i know the tailshaft will need to be modified, im not worried bout that as i have the yoke for the W58 which i am going to weld to the stock tailshaft... also when getting the yoke on i will adjust the length of the tail shaft accordingly as required

cheers

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: W58 into TA22

I cant answer most of these, but regarding the clutch, im pretty sure i read on the old forums somewhere that someone used a FWD E-series clutch plate in between their 3T flywheel and pressure plate. Could have been from a FWD Celica. Have a search (if thats still operational) and you might be able to dig something up.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Hey mate, as for the clutch.. I used a RA60 clutch, Exedy make a few depending on what you want, button, cushioned button, etc.
    It fitted the 3T flywheel/W55 gearbox fine.

Cheers
    Joel
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Slave.. again I think I used a RA60? I recall it needed spacing out 10mm or so from the bellhousing. So I probably had the wrong one.. But it worked
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

1 - Crossmembers, if you can't find one which conveniently bolts to the box and lines up with holes in the floor, they are easy to make yourself.

Just bolt the W58 rubber mount to the box, bolt a bit of plate to the bottom of that, bolt some plate to suitable threaded holes in the floor and then weld sections between them until you have a decent gearbox crossmember. I have no experience on TA22 tunnels, but in an AE86, the bottom of the box sits so low that any factory x-member is useless, even as a base to customise from.

2 - See above

3 - Whatever you find that works. I took the entire box and bellhousing down to ABS and just tried out slaves until one "suited". It still needed to be spaced out from the mounts and have a custom pushrod made (bit of rod cut to length and ends rounded)

4 - Above guys seem way more experienced than me in this. Though if you can give the flywheel diameter and the input shaft spline size then any decent clutch shop should be able to sort something out for you, either off the shelf or custom.

Hen

thanks guys!!! the info is great and an EXCELLENT place for me to start.. rep for all

everyone else... if you guys have any feedback, ideas or have done it and know any specific details missed or what not please dont hesitate to add it in... like i said i would like to turn this into an article for others to follow...

cheers

I found a xmember that fitted the RA28 and W55 so it was a bolt up.. But TA22 could very well be different. Seeing the RA had a W50 box.

But if you grab a RA60 gearbox xmember, that'll at least bolt to the gearbox.. Might be a good starting point.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

fade-e, Rod Try, advised me to use a TA22 auto gearbox crossmember. Bolted to the mount no probs. Just needed a couple of heavy duty angle iron extension pieces attached to the crossy, which then mounted to the original on body mount points. Worked fine for W55, and the IS200 box. I have used similar angle iron extensions on RA23/28 to mount other bixes as well. Engineers and rego authorities had no problems with them.

cheers Chuck

grease monkey Grease Monkey

Hey mate, i am just doing the exact same mod myself, and i have to agree with TurboRA28, about the x-member, cause the W58 i just bought was bolted up in a ta22 using a RA23 x-member with no mods according to the guy i bought it off, and it bolts straight in. Anyways, with the clutch im not sure, i bought one already put together for a 3TGTE and W58...but when i get it, ill try to get the exact part numbers off it as well what slave cylinder was used and post them for you...the box should be arriving in a week and a half or so, so ill keep you posted....or just email me at [email protected]
    Cheers
    Scott

guys once again thanks for the info... gives me a really good starting point

Ta22boy: mate once you get the box, could i get a couple pics of it out (once arrived) and once fitted? also what clutch will you be using? or is it a complete package?

also once i finish the conversion ill post some pics and what i did and needed to get it all going...

cheers

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Guys,
    I got my clutch set from IDB automotive. I just said it was for a 3T GTE with w55 gearbox and it all fitted no problem.
    I used the stock slave cylinder from the W55 and then plumbed it to the original TA22 piping.

The cross member you need is from a 71-75 TA22 that had auto trans. The gearbox will bolt right on, you just need to move the mounting plates under the car by around 2 inches, furhter back that is. I cut this mounting plate off and moved it back so it looks like it was like that from the factory.
    Pics of this are on my site.
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/celica.htm

You may have to adjust the gearstick position depending on what you have. From memory the posistions vary from the front plate between 17 to 21.5 inches. I fitted a different gearstick mounting plate on the gearbox to get it to line up to the stock TA22 position.

As for the tailshaft, no mods are needed. Just get a tailshaft from an early auto celica like the cross member and it will fit right in and will also be the right length, now that was a good find when I realised that!!

Good luck,
    Simon
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/celica.htm

hey guys... can anyone give me a run down of toyotas (or otherwise) that had the clutch slave cylinder on the passenger side as standard?

trying to find options for the W58 without having to make any mods/plates/adjustments

cheers

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

fade-e, if you have a T/W bellhousing, the slave cylinder will locate on the drivers side. Sound like you have picked up a 1G bellhousing. So theres part of your answer, any 1G-GE /GZE/GTE/FE,W series box, will have used the slave cylinder you need. The Aus delivered, IS200 comes with a 1G-FE.
    Just be sure to insulate, and route your clutch slave fluid line away from heat. Boiled clutch fluid, does not do a great job.

Cheers Chuck

From memory TA22 and RA2x gearbox crossmembers are direct replacements, and as stated RA2x use W series boxes. The only issue you may have might be the shifter location which is no real drama anyhow.

thanks for the reply chuck... much appreciated and really good to know what bellhouse i have... im aware of the clutch line issue, just really cant do much till everything is back in, and then i can decide where to run the line and how to insulate and stuff...

im kinda dissapointed that its on the passenger side, cause of the turbo and my car already has a 3" mendrel exhaust which will more than likely be sitting right on the slave cylinder ... all i can do is wait and see

cheers