Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

Quote Originally Posted by slipway View Post
    sorry should have been more clear but i mean did the pistons ever get made, is there spare's and are the normal spool rods to suit gen 3 or gen2 crank?
    The pistons were never made. I purchased a set of the rods and have asked Kyle to let me have the info on the pistons so I can get some made.

Craig

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic hypo23's Avatar

Just wanted to bring this back to the front page as there is a wealth of good info, especially in the first half of this thread, as there was a few people on facebook asking about Kyles oil gallery mods etc.

Has anybody compiled all of Kyles 1g info together???

I know i've spoken to him a few times on the phone and seems more than happy to share some of his 1g knowledge around, especially when i was building my motor years ago and was having a heap of trouble.

Owe and he makes the best turbo manifolds in the business too
    cheers steve,

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case..................coincidence?

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Is 6boost still making/selling bits?

I don't believe so, he still has the panel van with 1g though.

Its nothing you cant get made up yourself though.
    cheers steve,

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

he might make the best manifolds, but he does like to point the rear of the turbo towards the block just to make the poor dump pipe fabricators life harder

Im going to be doing my big hp 1g soon. read, in the next year if im lucky.
    glad to see this thread getting thrown back up, anyone with more and fresher info should definitely keep the facts coming.
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

just found the limit of my standard 1g on the weekend. surprising how long it lasted(been turning it to 8.5K @ 26psi for 3 years) and it finally let go in a big way on the weekend.
    Ive got all the bits and pieces for this stroker kit except for the pistons, just wondering if anyone else is looking for a set at the moment. If so PM me and ill try to set up a mini group buy.

Also, dont really know where else to post this, I found some info on the 1g oil gallery mods and i figured id repost for ease of access.
    ---------------------------------------------

Yeah, making the oil ports in the block where the filter is and also enlarging the galleries to (I think) the 2 rear big ends. Probably requires long series drill bits from looking at it.
    The following is what I found. It is from Kyle (6boost) on some other forum.

There are a few things you can do yourself to improve it, as long as the engine is still in pieces. The first, is pull the oil filter off, and have a look at where the oil comes from the il pump into where the filter screws on. Its the hole at the bottom. You can barely get your little finger in there. Grab a die grinder with a stone or pointy bur, and open up this hole. Don't just hog it out, but lay the edges back and round them over so not only is the oil coming through a bigger hole, it flows smoothly as it disperses. Imagine your porting a head and you want max flow, all nice and rounded.

Next, take the timing cover off the front. Have a look down the bottom right side of the block. There are 2 holes, one is the suction side from the sump, the other the pressure side from the oil pump. Do the same here, rather than sharp corners, round these out and smooth them into the surrounding material.

These are the first 2. If your still keen at this point, pull the threaded bit out of centre where teh filter screws on. It goes in too far. Cut about 5mm off it, and held in a vice, radius both sides and round the corners so the oil flows around teh corners into the block easier. You can radius inside the hole where we just pulled that piece out also, but I wouldn't advise this for th inexperienced, you can damage the thread in one little miss. be VER VERY careful, you only get to damage the thread once and its stuffed!!

The next 2 are a little more tricky. The main oil galleries in the block that feed the mains are 7mm where it enters the bearings, but if you get a 7mm long shank drill and stick into the main oil holes, they are only 7mm for an inch or 2, then they go back to 6mm. Drill out main oil galleries 1 and 6(there are 7 main caps in total), teh reason being, that the main oil gallery feeds the rods, and 1 and 6 rods/mains are the furthest from teh centre where the oil feeds in, you don't want to increase them all, and don't do number 7, as it feeds nothing.

I have 2 more mods done to mine, but I'll only divuldge one of them. The bearing shells when sat in the block don't line up with the centre of the oil hole that feeds them, they are off to one side. You need to find someone with a dremel tool or something very very fine. You may be able to do it by hand with a very fine jewelers round file. Put masking tape on the bearing face and just uncover the hole in the bearing. Put some bearing blue on teh back of the bearing and push the shells into the block. The hole will leave an outline where it lines up with the shell. You want to file out the shell so it matchs this hole perfectly. I would get someone who knows what they are doing to do this. If your tricky you can do it yourself, but you need a scraping tool so when your done, you can cut/scrape a radius back on teh edge of the hole so its not sharp. When your done, give the shells the very lightest of rubs with scotchbrite green pads and soapy water. Make sure everything si clean first. Your just cleaning teh surface, not trying to scrath a new finish on it!!!

There you have it. I have one more, but like I said, its staying with me. It is however not possible to do yourself and very tricky to do, an I don't know how many people out there "could" do it or have any idea how. Lastly, check your clearances. You want around .002" on the mains on a 400rwhp street engine and .002-.0023 on the big ends. For a 500+hp engine I'd go .0022" mains and .0025" on the big ends. Don't run thinner than 10w50 oil, and put a 1.2mm washer under the oil pump spring. If you use thinner oil, you will have very little oil pressure at idle when hot, less than 10-15psi. I personally run 15w60 Penrite oil, I think its HPR30. Street engines with tighter clearances you could run a 10w40 oil minimum, just keep an eye on hot oil pressure at idle. If its below 15psi, then chuck some thicker oil in.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Good info, I would say the mystery mod would be do-able if you got swift race engines to mod the block, as I think they did Kyles.

I may or may not be correct though, having not spoken to swift about this.

I was looking into getting pistons done, I will PM you now.

Cheers
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Or u could just use Kyle's old block, lol.

Sounds like there could be a few high powered 1g's coming up. Regarding cams, I've got Kyle's old tighe regrinds and a set of hks cams from the stroker, so I'm thinking it might be good to get them measured in prep for the stroker build.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Measuring Kyles old pistons would be interesting,
    I think it was tighe (but may be Wade cams) I have spoken to one of them about cams as they repaired a set of mine, and they had a grind that matched the HKS cam..

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Kyle's pistons in his ke70 motor were stock. He sold the motor to jordo, and sometime after a ring land let go. That's when I got hold of it.

The cams in that motor are weld/regrind jobbies, from Ivan tighe in brissie I believe. The other cams I've got are original hks, so not regrinds. When I get some spare time I want to pop out to Clive cams and get him to measure the profiles, so I can choose which way to go for the stroker.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

craig (ddeane on here) is getting close to his stroker 1g as well, I believe he got kyles old head? Should be a cracker to hear when it finally goes!
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i could be interested in a set of pistons. im trying to decide if i want a spare built 1G or just save for a 2grfe conversion.
    RA28 1G-GTE

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i know this is an old post, but would anyone in this wise group have a stock 1G piston they can photo (or loan) me. i'm interested in the crown shape. I'm building up some 3k/4K race engines and the 1G piston is basically right for what i want. The only one i can get hold of so far is an old 1g-gte which has too much dish in it. i'm hoping the later IS200 1G engine has a flatter top.

sorry i don't have any 1g pistons, though i do have a 1ggte piston floating around and used as a sample to get a set of forgoes made which you can use if that will help.
    cheers steve,

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

Anyone still wanting pistons?
    I will be sorting mine in the next week or two.

HKS crank, Spool Rods from the group buy, Talking to my engine guy this week.

Cheers, Andy