Page 153 of 392 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Forking Architect Grease Monkey

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

....i found my old solex was easier to tune then my webber 32/36....biggest mistake I ever made was changing over....
    Rotaries are cool...so why are their owners such cocks>>?

Why am i always a.. Domestic Engineer RAAAH23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

Nahh, The 88 is cool. Like me, she understands there are the talented few who can tune Solex and have them singing sweetly, and the vast majority who can't.

seeyuzz
    river
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscos View Post
    All carby's can run smoothly it is just the clowns who tune them that make them run better. Some are better than others.

Roscos
    both correct statements although one underlying factor is CA$H. am i willing to pay 450 for a redbuild and tune on my solex's i dont think so.

i love my carbies but they really arnt worth spending money on. its either i pay $450~ for a tune on the solex's or $800~ each for a set of webers.
    or i sit at home with my screw driver trying to aimlessly tune them by reading from a book until ive made it worse and pay $150 for a clown to make them all better, well almost better

if there wasnt the p plate laws
    Cheers, Alex

- 1976 TA23 2T-GTE GT3076 ID1000cc E85 Haltech PS1000, W58, G Series Diff, B45 Simmons

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You're looking at around $700 to get a set of Solex carbs tuned for an 18R-G/2T-G engine, and that includes a full rebuild, 'cos they've probably never been rebuilt since they wer enew, and the gaskets would be hard an leaky, the float shot and not floating properly, the inner venturis adjusted and tightened, and the diaphrams cracked and hard. The jets probably need replacing and adjusting.

You'll never get your old Solex tuned properly if they are 30+ years old and in dire need of a rebuild.

Yes, a rebuild isn't cheap, bit it is not like you need one every year.. or even every 10 years.

Most people complain about $700 to fix the carbs that will make your engine feel like a new motor, but are happy to spend more on a sound system for the car.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Why am i always a.. Domestic Engineer RAAAH23's Avatar

so the $450 must have been just the rebuild then.

hmm where do you take them to do the rebuild/tune river? that place at burwood?

the sound system in my car is all second hand running off a 1990's deck really no need for the music not like i can hear it with my exahust
    Cheers, Alex

- 1976 TA23 2T-GTE GT3076 ID1000cc E85 Haltech PS1000, W58, G Series Diff, B45 Simmons

Hi,

For anything carby related I go to Kleinigs. They're out near Windsor, just off Windsor road about 200 metres before the new parkway thingo that goes into Windsor.

That $700 would include the rebuild and tune and possibly a dyno run to check it all.

Call them on 4577 7221 and ask for Daniel.

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Someone mentioned in a wanted thread I had up not too long ago, that the 22R flywheel is the same as the 18R flywheel... Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or not?
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Exactly correct, used an 18R flywheel on a 22R without issue. RA40 and RA65 use the same clutch kit.

Ninja edit: RA40 and RA60 also use the same clutch slave cylinder, which is different to the early W50 clutch slave of the RA23/28 which is adjustable.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

excellent... Thanks for that

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

And a M series clutch and pressure plate will interchange also
    Cheers Brett.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Something IMPORTANT to note:

Some time ago, I mentioned in this thread that the upper thermostat housing for a KE30 (Kilkenny Castings part number WO31) was the correct item for an 18R-G. Well, what I discovered on the weekend was that when they re-designed the thermostat housing for the 18R-GUE to make room for the fuel rail, they mirrored the upper housing to move the rear bolt toward the head. So the WO31 housing I purchased is no good for this application.

I trawled around last night looking at the Kilkenny Castings catalogue and images of their range, and there are a few likely suspects which use the same gasket as the 18R-C, and look like they could fit. So it will be a matter of going through what the supplier has and working out the best fit item. I will let you know what the part number is when I figure it out.

So if you have a standard 18R-G or 18R-GU and your thermostat has the rear upper housing bolt further away from the head than the front one, then WO31 will allow the standard upper hose to fit (for RA23/28/35/40 at least). If you have an 18R-GUE then it is a different story.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic chaRwie's Avatar

Little help guys

The little thing on the oil filter mount is the oil pressure? The connector looks the same as the 18rc plug
    If thats the oil pressure

then what is the sensor on the sump?

Sold: RA28zoku - Bosozoku inspired
    Weekend: JZX100 Mark II - VIP inspired
    New Daily: GX71 Mark II - Bosozoku inspired coming soon...

Hi,

Could be oil temp... but... the standard 18R-G mounting place for the oil temp (standard on GTV 18R-G models, and option on GT 18R-G models) was usually underneath the sump.

seeyuzz
    river

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I've seen a few sensors in 18RG sumps where that photo shows it.

I would guess oil temperature or possible low oil level sensor.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yeah, I have one of those on my spare sump, but i'm not sure what it does either... I don't understand the need for an oil temp sensor, when you think about it oil and water both pass through the engine, and will be at the same/similar temp, so there really can't be much benefit to getting temp readings from both fluids...
    It's definately not a level sensor either, but it could be a level switch however the chunky bit on the end won't do much floating, it seems to be made of bakelite or something similar... I also think it sits a bit low in the pan to be oil level, I always assumed the oil level would be much higher...

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

It's not a sensor, it's actually a heater. Gets that cold in japan that you plug the car in overnight to keep the oil from freezing
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.