Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4AF head prep and porting

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default 4AF head prep and porting

I'm doing an odd frankenbuild - from stock 4AFE, to superduty built 4AFE, eventually to 4AFZE. From research the SC12 supercharger may actually be a better "fit" with the "F" economy 16V.

Anyway, I'm beginning inside the head to improve what I can improve. The above chambers show my initial chamber deshrouding, removal of edges.....

My 1st question - I remember a post on varying the valve size to improve cylinder filling. The F head uses 30.0mm intake valves, and 24.5mm exhaust valves, the valve is about 8mm shorter then G valves, which are 30.5mm, and 25.5mm in diameter. So, would using cut down 4AG valves (1 intake and 1 exhaust per chamber) actually be a benefit??

SD 4AFE shortblock would be 4AGE 20V using 8.9CR 4AGZE pistons - under a 30.25cc F head chamber, 4AGZE pistons "become" 10.1 to 1 - (stock 4AGE chamber is 36.25cc)
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 16-12-2010 at 04:11 AM.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Default Re: 4AF head prep and porting

The biggest single problem to overcome....... Toyota changed the spacing of the exhaust ports when they went to the "F" head

they made the outer ports slant toward the center

now this wouldn't be a huge problem... EXCEPT - look at the chamber on the right, #1, well look along the head and you see a hole, the oil drain hole. This drain becomes a HUGE problem.....

Still not fully understanding..... here is the final pic showing why this actually is a problem....

the "new" photo in this series... is port #4... I believe the problem is not over stated......
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 16-12-2010 at 06:56 AM.

my initial idea is to "cheat the pillar" (coal speak for thinning the divider) on #1. a 2nd idea is to bring the current roof of port #1 to a more squared off shape with that drainside wall

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

OST.........depending on your budget why not take the head to a head reconditioners, get them to heat the head up, get a piece of ally slightly oversize to fill that drain hole (I'm assuming it is a straight thru drain from top to bottom of the head), get the ally piece frozen and put the two together as an interference fit.....weld the top side and underside of that ally filler piece then machine the surface of the head and then port away as per what you want to achieve? then, run an external oil drain like the 7rib 100kw??? just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Grega View Post
    OST.........depending on your budget why not take the head to a head reconditioners, get them to heat the head up, get a piece of ally slightly oversize to fill that drain hole (I'm assuming it is a straight thru drain from top to bottom of the head), get the ally piece frozen and put the two together as an interference fit.....weld the top side and underside of that ally filler piece then machine the surface of the head and then port away as per what you want to achieve? then, run an external oil drain like the 7rib 100kw??? just a thought?

I've been giving this some thought.... with the engine in fwd(or in my case All-Trac) configuration, adding a drain to the back (intake side)of the head doesn't make sense(to me). And I'm not sure I'm ready to experiment with what in essence is my absolute daily driver..........

but it remains a possibility....

doing a little work on the intake side... thinning the splitter @ the port roof(NOT thinning it on the floor). Carefully removing the casting flash, doing a bit of re-contouring around the guides....

that, and massaging the bowls and seats is all I plan to do on the intake side of this head

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

What I did to solve the angled ports on the F head was to add a bunch of metal to the outside of them #1 and #4 ports, then oval them out. It made them straight and also gave me the size I needed.

www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

what are the benefits of using the F head to the G head?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Bill... what did you do about the oil drainback crowding port#1?

trdee - I'm not sure there is an advantage..... my purpose is to use it in my All-Trac Corolla. I could swap the whole thing out for a managed 4AGE, and I'll NEED management once I go to boost, but in the mean time the engine is an exercise in how much i can massage from a 4AFE

btw... this is a 2nd generation F head - it was originally developed(2nd gen) for use in the heavier Celica base model. For more specifics - http://allanpalace.99k.org/4afe.pdf

dead link above, new link - http://home.exetel.com.au/seasalt/Resources/4afe.pdf
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 04-03-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post
    Bill... what did you do about the oil drainback crowding port#1?
    It was done a while ago, I can't remember it being a big problem though.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

I thought they had 31mm intake valves? or is my memory mistaken?

whats your plans for cams?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Q View Post
    I thought they had 31mm intake valves? or is my memory mistaken?

whats your plans for cams?
    I remember you posting the lifts on your "F" cams... at well over 7mm, these are not even 7mm, their lift is .270"(6.9mm). Right now, I'm thinking if I can find a set of your generation "F" cam... and they still work in my generation "F" head, that they would be my best choice..... I'm trying to keep duration short to keep up the bottom end, this engine is going in my All-Trac Corolla daily, so a few more #/ft is far more important than a few more hp

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

the cam lift on mine where 8.6mm and that was a while ago. Still quite the mystery as nowhere on any specs does it show a 7afe head to have more than 8mm of lift

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Q View Post
    the cam lift on mine where 8.6mm and that was a while ago. Still quite the mystery as nowhere on any specs does it show a 7afe head to have more than 8mm of lift
    What about the late-late model 7As that came out in the AE112s? Toyota claimed different figures for them (same peak power/torque but at different rpm) and I've seen better results on the dyno from them. They appear to have different part numbers for the camshaft too, compared to the 102s.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed