Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22R TDC - Timing marks don't line up?

SPANNER CRAB Grease Monkey AE3SGTE's Avatar

Default 22R TDC - Timing marks don't line up?

Hey all,
    Just attempting to change the timing chain on my 22R and have run into a slight issue....
    I am following this guide
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
    Says
    step 7
    Set #1 piston to the top of it's stroke and the cam gear mark up (12:00 position) and the crank gear mark down (6:00 position) ?
    Then later says at
    step 9
    Set the engine to Top Dead Center.
    With the vehicle in neutral turn the crank by until the timing guide 0 (ZERO) is lined up with the notch in the pulley.
    Now you should see that the cam gear notches are at the top and that the raised rib on the crank is also at the top

OK, So, I read through this and got confused, so I cranked it a number of times and checked, to see what lined up.
    The raised rib on the crank notch lines up with Zero, don't know what its on about when its says crank gear mark at 6:00, there is a 8-10mm hole bored in the pulley, but it is no where near the 6:00 position when I have the cam and the crank close to there marks.?

What the hell is it talking about?
    Ali

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 22R TDC - Timing marks don't line up?

That could mean the pulley mark, normally the pulley is different to what is behind the cover, ie the sprocket and chain marks are not the same as the pulley to cover marks, well Iv always seen when to belts and chains, could be differnt on this tho

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

yeah it is the timing mark on the chain he is referring to.

PM me your email address and I can email you a pdf of the factory manual pages that cover the timing chain if you like

Sorry, missed this I was out working on it.
    Youngy, PM sent.
    I worked out the crank gear mark.
    Next small issue , In that guide, it says to line up the cam gear dimples with the bright link, and the crank gear dimple with the other bright link.....
    The chain kit I bought only has 1 bright link?
    Which gear dimples do I line it up on if I only have one bright link?
    I've got it sitting on, lined up with the cam gear link.....
    Ali
    Last edited by AE3SGTE; 08-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Also that guide link above, is that Australian, or American?
    As it refers to driver side and passenger side....
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
    *Chain tension placement is crucial in making the guide install easy.
    Since the engine rotates in a clockwise pattern the driver side should have the most tension and the passenger side the slack.
    If you look at the way the guides install you will see the driver's side has virtually no slack and the passenger side has a lot.
    To achieve this you need to find the proper alignment of the chain on the gears then very carefully preload the cam gear/valves by placing a punch in the hole on the top the cam and twisting the cam ever so slightly clock wise to get the cam gear on.

The RHS (of the vehicle) has a tensioner, and hence with the guide on, and no tensioner it has a tone of slack... is the guide arse about face?
    Last edited by AE3SGTE; 08-07-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

got it sorted?

there a 2 different lengths of 22r chains, you may need to shorten the chain by 2 links.

the bright links is only relevant to certain brands of chain, ive fitted a few 22r chains and never seen the bright link.
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Quote Originally Posted by CELICASUPRA7M View Post
    got it sorted?

there a 2 different lengths of 22r chains, you may need to shorten the chain by 2 links.

the bright links is only relevant to certain brands of chain, ive fitted a few 22r chains and never seen the bright link.
    Definitely the 96 link version 22R, and kit that I have.
    That guide is American. The tension should be on the exhaust side where the straight guide is.
    To obtain that tension on the Passenger side, you rotate the cam clockwise to get the cam gear on, so I did that, I had to move it about 3-4mm, now I have the gear on the cam, nice and tights on the exhaust side, but the timing marks are out on the cam gear, by a fair bit. So I have stopped here.
    I'll get a picture for you, but its enough to have me worried, not having done this before and this being an interference engine....

I have been talking with youngy via pm, he showed me this guide
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/
    In it it says to
    Getting the cam sprocket onto the cam takes some effort, especially when using a kit with a pre-stretched chain like D.O.A.�s kit. This is where the crank bolt comes in handy. Thread the crank bolt back into the crank and snug it down. While applying upward pressure on the cam sprocket, rotate the engine back and forth with a breaker bar on the crank nut. This will stretch the chain out a bit to get it over the front of the camshaft.
    I believe this is what I have to do to correct it, will give it a go on the weekend.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

if the chain length is right and the timing marks don't line up then you must be a tooth out.
    the slack should be on the tensioner side and the other side chain nice and straight from the cam down to the crank. you cant go wrong.
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CELICASUPRA7M View Post
    if the chain length is right and the timing marks don't line up then you must be a tooth out.
    the slack should be on the tensioner side and the other side chain nice and straight from the cam down to the crank. you cant go wrong.

Celicasupra7m is a good source of knowledge. I went through this process myself on my 21r engine in February which has a very similar set up.
    I have the workshop manual for 21r and 22r engine which explains the timing chain engine service very clearly. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you in PDF format.

When I put my cars chain on, it did not have different coloured links. I just ensured that the exhaust side held the tension. Crank was at TDC (there should be a key notch at 12:00). And the cam sprocket was also at TDC. I needed a mate to help me to get the sprocket with chain on the cam whilst sticking a long screwdriver inside the timing case to push back the chain tensioner. I couple of love taps with a mallet got the sprocket back on.

2000k's later the engine's running fine.

Good luck.

Looks like I need to skip a tooth, but it will misalign the bright link...I'll give it a go

Skipped a tooth backwards on the cam wheel and ended up well before the timing mark?
    Put it back, and then tried skipping a tooth on the crank gear, a tone of slack on the exhaust side....
    So I did as that 2nd guide Youngy showed me says, and put a pry bar down the centre of the cam gear and put the bolt back in the crank and moved it side to side whilst putting upwards pressure on cam gear, and it seems to have worked.

I just pulled the plugs, and turned it over gently by hand and everything seems ok....
    I'm pretty confident to put it all back together now.
    Thank you every one for you guidance.

Had a closer inspection of the radiator, Its pretty fragile, and the top outlet has split 2/3rds the way around from when I removed the top hose.
    You can see where the bottom outlet has been repaired twice....
    Binned it.
    I just ordered an Ebay special Alloy 3 core for it.
    Looks like I'll have to wait till later in the week until I can drive her again though.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MrTC View Post
    Celicasupra7m is a good source of knowledge. I went through this process myself on my 21r engine in February which has a very similar set up.
    I have the workshop manual for 21r and 22r engine which explains the timing chain engine service very clearly. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you in PDF format.

When I put my cars chain on, it did not have different coloured links. I just ensured that the exhaust side held the tension. Crank was at TDC (there should be a key notch at 12:00). And the cam sprocket was also at TDC. I needed a mate to help me to get the sprocket with chain on the cam whilst sticking a long screwdriver inside the timing case to push back the chain tensioner. I couple of love taps with a mallet got the sprocket back on.

2000k's later the engine's running fine.

Good luck.
    Do above and since you have the timing cover off, squeeze the tensioner all the way back and lightly tap the cam gear on.
    you should be golden.
    72 RA21, 77 RA29, 78 RA40, 79 RA42, 83 RA65c, 85 RN60
    81 RA42 race car, 04 F150 supercab tow rig.

When the timing cover was off I used tape around the tensioner as per the http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml guide says to do, there is no need for 2 people and a screw driver in between chain and tensioner
    Timing cover is back on now, its all back together.
    Just waiting on a radiator and i'm good to go.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Nice work. The replacement would be heaps easier with the timing case off. I followed the toyota directions which directed to remove the head.
    Let me know how you go with any oil leaks. I was pretty scrappy with my sealant (I probably should've used silicone instead) and now wondering if I can remove the timing cover I can seal it up again.

I hope the manual comes in handy.