Thread: 3SGE BEAMS running lean

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3SGE BEAMS running lean

I have a 3SGE BEAMS from an Altezza fitted to a RA65 Celica
    The engine came from a front cut and has a Greddy AFM and POD fitted to it
    When run on the dyno, the engine is running very lean and not making near the power it should
    This has been proven by partly covering the air intake which alone caused an increase of 30 HP at the wheels
    The assumption is that the Greddy AFM and pod flow better than the factory set up which theoretically should improve power providing the fuel can be matched
    Does anyone have any suggestions how this problem can be solved easily other than reverting to the factory set up which I don’t have?

It is using the factory ECU

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 3SGE BEAMS running lean

Whats your fuel pressure like & is it lean all the way or just up top ..

teq Grease Monkey

As just said, the fuel pressure may be off (should be 60-62psi), or you may have the wrong MAF/wrong size housing.

Andrew

fuel pressure is good. have tried with RA65 in tank pump and currently have surge tank and Bosch 044 in line pump with FPR on return line. have varied fuel pressure from 60 to 80 psi with little or no effect
    i think the injectors are at max flow therefore no change with higher FP. engine is lean right thru the rev range.
    was thinking bigger injectors or maybe an ECU "FLASH"
    has anyone had experience in this area
    Last edited by DURO; 14-11-2011 at 07:35 AM.

does anyone have any idea how much bigger than standard injectors i would need to go from .99 lamda to .88. thats if i decide to take a punt on that fixing the problem

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

does this motor run the fail pressure at a fixed pressure (returnless setup) or does it have a FPR and return line on the fuel rail? I've only seen one or two up close and they were returnless (so regardless of of rpm/load you get fixed pressure).

rereads this quote and theorises...
    ... This has been proven by partly covering the air intake which alone caused an increase of 30 HP at the wheels
    At a guess, the thing has enough fuel but way too much air. Find a factory MAF or correct sized replacement (apparently 1UZ MAF will work). At the moment, for a given load (and thus air entering intake manifold) the Greddy MAF is returning a signal that the ECU thinks is a lower load.

Simply bolting on a larger MAF will not get you any more power
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

I am with Chuckster on this one. From my research into BEAMS ECU's, they are not a learning ECU, and will always trey to re establish basic factory settings. Guys who have used interceptors, have found that, even the modified signals from the inteceptors will be interpreted by the ECU and are deemed to be false inputs, the ecu then applies its own algorithm to those signals and comes up with a factory value. With an initial dyno run after fitting an interceptor, the power is there, then next run you are back to std power output. If you want more power from a BEAMS, you have to ditch the factory management and go aftermarket.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

thanks for the feedback guys
    have tried returnless and return with fpr setup
    guess i'll keep looking for a factory afm and airbox
    cheers
    Bruce

i've read that the beams MAF's are quite sensitive to turbulence etc, people have run pods directly before the MAF and this has upset the air flow to a point of causing bad running conditions. you need air to flow nice and staright thru the MAF.

think one guy used straws or the like to remove turbulence, i think the MAF isn't reading the correct amount of air flow due to turbulence which was reduced when you covered part of the intake.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan yee View Post
    think one guy used straws or the like to remove turbulence.
    that would be Bill Sherwood's Sprinter (BEAMS +factory ECU)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i have recently had exactly the same problem and fixed it by returning to the factory filter box. bingo, no more rich/lean spots.
    if you look inside some of the air boxes, you will see straightening vanes to help smooth the air flow around the MAF
    the 2ZZ celica engine is notious for this problem with cold air intake systems fitted

Terro i solved the problem would you believe by making a spacer that fitted in the afm housing and had a hole around 50mm in it. of course it was way too rich so kept enlarging hole till it was just a bit too rich then drilled a series of 3/16th dia holes till it was right then sikaflexed it. left it running slightly rich. ended up with 150rwhp

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i hope you are right. have you checked the mixture at various load/rev points???. when we stick them on the dyno with a proper Lambda analyser, the results are all over the place. just cause you fixed it in 1 place, does not mean its fixed everywhere.
    FYI, there was a similar article in latest Holden trade news, about non-genuine air filters seriously upsetting the AFM and warning of the consequences of not using the factory filter. The oil from pod or replacement filters was particularly mentioned as a problem in contaminating the sensors on the MAF.
    A mate came in to my work yesterday talking about getting mixture right with Altessa engine he had just converted.
    I've seen this problem lots of times now

1uzs have very similar issues when people fit later model hilux air boxes
    the air flow stream into the maf is not open undistured and sometimes
    the airflow is fatser or slwoer than the motor is actually needed and it idles and takes of like shit

the engine vacuum creates the correct air speed thru the air flow meter
    if u add or remove something u might create a venturi effect and air speed changes to what is
    really needed

anyway this is common on 2jvvti where people use wrong air meter and fit ti to a non factory pipe
    this can cause issues and u never think back at the intake
    toyota spent years perfecting it and we spend 5 minutes fking it up heheheeh