Hi all, after a 200km 4wd trip trough East Gipsland in my brother's Rocky, I'm sold on getting a SWB 4wd to bash around in. And I'm looking at some Toyhatsus...
Rockys had 3Y-C, 3Y-E, or Daihatsu DL or DL-T diesels. The Toyota version of the diesel Rocky was the LD20/21 Blizzard which had the 2L or 2L-T as an option.
So any ideas for a power up? Or more to the point, has anyone done one? Having the 3Ys would suggest a number of Hilux style swaps could be a goer, but there may be substantial engine bay differences. 4Y could be an option, but barely worth the effort...
Another option I was thinking was a Feroza (yes soft, but not near as soft as a Rav 4, and common around Sydney compared to Rockys). Does anyone know of any swaps for Ferozas? The only notable one I've seen was a SR20DET RWD in one, and I'd much rather keep one 4wd, and in the extended Toyhatsu family. Easiest power up would be a Detomaso HD. I heard vague rumours about a company that put "1.8 Corolla motors in" (so a 7A-FE), and I do have a car sitting here with a MAP 4A-GZE that hasn't been doing alot... I could take the blower off the GTZ and supercharge the HD-E (and turbo the GTZ!) - Someone on WARFS is putting an SC14 on one...
My brother's also got an LD10 Blizzard ("L", 2.2 diesel), with a zombie motor (certainly dead but hasn't quite stopped yet). Anyone gone from L to 5L?
Tends not to be a lot of info on engine swaps out there, as they're underrated vehicles, and most of the mods on 4wd forums deal with body and suspension lifts, and huge tyres...
Cheers,
Jon.