Thread: Freaking Water Leaks :(

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Default Freaking Water Leaks :(

Hey guys, my AW11 MR2 leaks water TERRIBLY when it rains. I can't see where the problem is yet, but it's right up into the dash somewhere. I've decided to take the whole thing out and give the car a good look over, is there anything I should know before I remove the dash? I want to remove the aircon system while I'm there, is there anybody who can come out and drain the refridgerant as I don't really want to just vent it.
    Cheers.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Default Re: Freaking Water Leaks :(

possibly the windscreen seal get obrien to check it
    Michael
    Daily - 2.2L 1994 GSR
    Weekend - SW20

It's not the windscreen seal, I know it's from in the air ducts below the windscreen somewhere. I don't think it's rust as I can see most of the way down there and there isn't even a slight hint of surface rust.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Take it to an auto elec/AC shop and get them to evacuate the AC system.

I think you need to reevaluate it being the windscreen, the vents are all internal besides the very small part which allows fresh air in
    I am the sun

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

IF it is fitted with a sunroof (JDM-moon roof), there is a drain in each corner and if this becomes blocked with debris it will overflow. I had this problem on a landcruiser, but once found it was very easy to clean.

god luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    Take it to an auto elec/AC shop and get them to evacuate the AC system.

I think you need to reevaluate it being the windscreen, the vents are all internal besides the very small part which allows fresh air in
    I'll say it again, it is NOT the windscreen. I dribbled a small amount of water directly into the air vent and then watched it come straight out underneath the sound deadening up against the 'firewall' (for want of a better word).

The air feed for the ventilation system sits directly above the blower motor and allows fresh air through a hole slightly bigger than 10cm x 10cm (from memory) with rounded corners.

The air is fed from the air vent grill in front of the windscreen and to stop water getting into the car a lip sits proud of the base of the air vent by about one inch. Water is meant to run around this and over the edges to come out at the base of the front guards.

Once you get access you will find that this air inlet is welded to the bottom and your problem is most likely rust around this weld. If your body design allows you to remove the grill (between the bonnet and windscreen) and get your hand in there you can perform some sort of fix and leave the AC and interior alone.

Maybe anyway.............

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BrianRA23
    The air feed for the ventilation system sits directly above the blower motor and allows fresh air through a hole slightly bigger than 10cm x 10cm (from memory) with rounded corners.

The air is fed from the air vent grill in front of the windscreen and to stop water getting into the car a lip sits proud of the base of the air vent by about one inch. Water is meant to run around this and over the edges to come out at the base of the front guards.

Once you get access you will find that this air inlet is welded to the bottom and your problem is most likely rust around this weld. If your body design allows you to remove the grill (between the bonnet and windscreen) and get your hand in there you can perform some sort of fix and leave the AC and interior alone.

Maybe anyway.............

good luck
    Thanks mate, the blower motor and grill are out, but I still can't see enough to know exactly where the leak is coming from. I can sort of feel over the lip, but there doesn't seem to be any rust. I figure if I can get the rest of those vents and stuff out, I might actually have chance of seeing where the problem is, along with removing all of that sound deadening.

Above the blower motor should be the only place connected to the outside through the firewall. Consider tipping some thick paint to plug up anything unknown if it cannot be resolved. I like to use POR-15 for rust protection/treatment. It is worth looking at.

It sounds like you will have the answer very soon, as well as lots of bits on the ground next to the car.

I'm trying to remove the piece below the evaporator so I can get that out, then the piece the blower motor is bolted to, but it's stuck on something. After that's out, I'm planning of cutting any rust out and POR15-ing the whole area.
    What concerns me is the other footwell had a decent amount of water in it too. If it is a rusted section, then it is probably the same on the other side. If not, then I have absolutely no idea whatsoever - yet.

Yep, that'll do it. Got a litre of POR15 and whitecoat coming ASAP. Looks like the whole dash is coming out and whole firewall getting cut back and rustproofed.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Rust in that spot is a PITA to fix properly, mainly because its very hard to weather seal on the outside in that channel properly.

Good luck