Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RA28 Help

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: RA28 Help

No there's no diff center at all, I'd have to transplant mine, or get a better one? I have no idea what one though, just got offered front RT132 struts and with four spot brakes for an extra $200 though, solid discs but pretty much brand new apparently.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

i wouldn't worry about solid discs.. there's no point going to the effort of changing those bits out to get something only a little better then standard... may as well put a bit more effort in, and get something significantly better...

diff looks good though, but i think finding an LSD for it will be difficult... i haven't done much research on the subject, but from what i understand it's a matter of tracking down alot of rare(ish) 2nd hand parts...
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

I don't have my heart set on a lsd just something that won't tear itself apart when I finally put something more powerful in it, is it going to be difficult finding a stronger one that'll fit in the diff housing? Also with the RT132 struts, front and rear am I going to run into problems with the fitting of the springs and shockers? Obviously I can get springs/shockers to suit the RT132 but is that going to make things difficult and require heaps of engineering when I want to mount them in my '28?

Built not Bought Grease Monkey Rosie's Avatar

Probably best to look into finding PUG discs first.....you won't easily, i'd try that first as if u can't it will obviously change what u can do. I looked everywhere and could only get them from Peugeot at $895 per disc

I have a bolt on set up on my 28, but uses VN discs, which u can get blank, and get whatever stud pattern u like.

Would a diff from a RA60 be adequate for the 1GGTE, I know the '60 doesn't have as much hp or anything, just figure it might be tougher 'cos it more modern, plus this means I wouldn't have to mod the flange or anything or is this idea ridiculous and a waste of time and money.....I could drive it really nicely

Rosie - your joking aren't you??? $895 per disc is obsurd! i hope for yoursake you didn't go ahead with it? RDA still make them (i'm told) price i expect would be about $250/rotor...

Rancidpunk - As far as i know the RA60 has the same diff centre as the RA28, and that is a T-series... the key to look for here is the series of the centre, as far as i know theres D-series (TA22's, TA12s and others), T-series (RA23/8, RA40/60 etc) F-series (alot of crowns, cressidas etc) and the grand daddy G-series (hilux, supra etc) that's the biggest thing to look for when your talking about strength, there are other factors (# of pinions etc) but not many people worry about it. if your looking to upgrade for strength, it's F or G series... or look at other brands, Commodore, Silvia, volvo are the most popular...

Thanks RAd28, thats a big part of the info I was looking for, will a G series fit into a T-series housing? The G-series would also require a modded flange?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

No, a G-series will not fit into a T-series housing. You need to buy the diff/rear-axle which has the G-series in it. Then you got to fit that to your car... after you size it up and check axle lengths etc.. then you need to mod the drive shaft that will join from your gearbox to your diff. Oh, and I assume you're getting something like a W58 gearbox to take the power.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Built not Bought Grease Monkey Rosie's Avatar

no joke, that quote was from pug, DBA couldn't supply them and RDA where a long.....Long wait.

Pretty much nothing diff wise will bolt in, that will be good in the long run. Your standard diff and any close alternative like the 60 will be too weak in the axle department, suggest u look into the threads like Volvo and Hilux conversion. Each has their good and bad points but no matter what u do u r looking at a shortening and rewelding of mounts to get a good diff behind your celica.

individual preference takes over from here, volvo = cheap and available single spinner $$$ for LSD
    Hilux = little More $$$ and available cut and shorten depending on variant possible +$$$ for LSD
    Commodore = cheap and available parts cheap, many LSDs, but u have commodore touching your celica.

suggest you just search and read then repeat. you will get many opinions but its your $$ and Car. you have the advantage of others experience but ultimately u have to live with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    suggest you just search and read then repeat. you will get many opinions but its your $$ and Car. you have the advantage of others experience but ultimately u have to live with the car.

probably the best piece of advice here...

searching doesn't just mean looking at what's listed on the forums, don't be afriad to PM people who've done work on their cars, typically they're happy to help... if they're not, they just won't reply

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic {Mr Crabs}'s Avatar

I put a lot of thought and time into my diff option.

I was one of the stupid people who some how thought it would be a good option to go for IRS and an LSD at the same time.

With lots of help from mates this has still cost 5K to see it on the road.

As for yor brake option the lux/pug is overkill for a daily,if you want super budget just run XT130 set up complete as is.

Then save you money for you diff upgrade.I flogged the shit out of my stock T series diff and it never showed any signs of giving up with my stock 1G.

The volvo or lux is the smartest way to go.

Case

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Just as an update on the Pug Disk Rotors.

The RDA Part number is RDA272 and they are available and quite cheap.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Thats correct. You can buy them slotted or solid. Could be worth checking if buying the rotors and having a brake shop slot the for you is cheaper. It was in my case as i knew a owner of a brake place.

Has anyone here done the G-series diff conversion? Wanting to know about mods to the flange etc.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Mate, the G-series conversion is the Hilux conversion.

There are 3 main series' of toyota diff centers related to our Ra2* Celica's.

T series - standard 6.75" center
    F series - found in GT celicas and some coronas/crowns etc
    G series - found in hilux's (live axle) and plenty of IRS cars.

You can only really fit g-series centers to g-series housings, and f-series to f-series etc, which means if you want a g-series, you need to use an eg: hilux housing and axles.

so you need to work out what size center to upgrade to, find a housing that suits that center, and can be modified to fit in the celica.

The f-series is probably a perfect size for a 1ggte, but they are not as readily available as the hilux diffs.

The reason I didn't think the link that you posted above was a good option is because despite the disc brakes, it is still a standard t-series which might last OK in a 1GGTE, but probably not if you like to drop the clutch occasionally. It's not really a diff upgrade.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )