Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7MGE+T = Cheap thrills?

The tractor Grease Monkey

Default 7MGE+T = Cheap thrills?

it actually = blown head gaskets

but in all seriousness, well as much seriousness as you can get in a hypothetical question

a mate of mine has a 7MGTE supra with terrible rod knock and all the lovely associated things which go with owning a 7m, however, my 7m is nice and healthy, had the headgasket fixed properly blah blah

anyway we were having a joke around about bolting the 7MGTE manifold to my car and driving off, well us being the idiots we are we have taken the idea a bit further so i present this before you as a bit of fun for a daily driver

-use the 7mgte manifold + turbo on a stock 7mge (with catback exhaust)
    -get a nice dump pipe made up
    -buy an el-cheapo intercooler and use my mates workshop to make up cooler piping (only the cost price of his piping, machine use etc would be free)
    -tap the required oil lines
    - buy myself a second hand e-manage or SAFC2 and get someone to tune it for me
    - ????
    -Profit

so theoretically for ~$800 we could make a pretty sweet little streeter running 5-8psi

the idea of this thread was for people to point our flaws in the plan (the main being a 7m i know )

the only uissue we have run into is fuel delivery and tuning, would a SAFC2 or Emanage (or similar) be acceptable for tuning? would 7mgte injectors + fuel pump be useable?

Cheers guys

Trav

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 7MGE+T = Cheap thrills?

why not use 7MGTE ECU? with 7MGTE injectors of course

the only real difference is compression ratio.....

why not use your mates IC, ECU and dump/exhaust.....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

aparently the 7mgte ECU is a pain for wiring and from what i have read it doesnt act too nicely with the 7mge out of the cressida, this may be a myth though who knows.

His intercooler is a little.... dirty, a clean might fix it up i guess, see how we go.

Im not to sure about the dumps working with my exhaust i didnt think about that!

any more tips would be greatly appreciated!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

find out about the wiring.. first hand... how hard can it be? they have virtually the same inputs etc...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

i think i might...*wanders back to the cressida forums*

cheers for the help oldcorollas

p00 powar Grease Monkey Jin~Jah's Avatar

I've got a turbo 7m cressida - i'm not sure how hard it is to do the wiring, but I can tell you that a 7mge+t will go nicely if it's cheap thrills you're after

a rod let go in the original GTE block and broke shit, so I got a $200 7mge out of a cressida with a BHG and an apparanlty rebuilt bottom end (turns out it had oversized pistons). Fixed the BHG, Transferred all the turbo stuff to it, sorted out an oil feed/return, and connected it back up to all the existing wiring.

Installed an HKS VPC at the same time, and it's worked reasonably well ever since then. buecase it's got the NA bottom end, it is quite good off boost, and is pretty lazy to drive and feels nicely torqey

thats exactly what i wanted to hear jin-jah, someone who had actually done it

was it resonably reliable? How much power did you make?

p00 powar Grease Monkey Jin~Jah's Avatar

just to be clear, i bought the car with a 7mgte conversion, so all the wiring/ecu was there. I haven't pulled the wiring to bits yet beucase I haven't needed to (some wires in the loom are in bad shape though )

Reliable? mostly - the main problem I had was, lo and behold, a BHG
    Pic--> http://mibba.kekechan.org/ma70/badgasket.jpg

I didn't re-torque the head bolts after doing 1000ish k's of gentle driving, so i'm hoping it was beucase of that, and not some other issue. Oh, and that gasket saw somewhere in the vicinity of 16-18psi a few times when the boost controller carked it! Took head off, cleaned block up a bit, put in a spare gasket i had lying around, and have been running about 10psi daily with so far no issues (touch wood)

Another thing is the oil feed, it seems the factory GTE feed-point has an in-built restrictor - I killed a turbo at first buecase there was no restrictor, and basically the volume of oil blew out the seals in the turbo. From memory there's a bolt in the feed with a 1-1.5mm hole in it, and that seems to work ok. Also with the feed, when there was no restrictor, it was robbing a bit too much oil flow from the rest of the block - could hear a gentle tap tap tapping - at first that browned the undies, but we worked that one out an it was better

power wise, It hasn't been dyno'd yet... haven't been to the creek yet either

ask away with any more questions... writing this out is ammo to create a member's ride thread hehe

Mechanic Grease Monkey jzx81mx83's Avatar

I just found this on one of the supra forums have a read

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34560

cheers for that camry..

i decided i will probably go ahead with this now after the engines been entirely cleaned up

Not in the diner Alf! Conversion King RyleyMA61's Avatar

yeah definately look into using the ecu- or sort something out that will retard the ignition timing under boost... that was the big issue when i was thinking of doing the 5me turbo... so if you can use the gte ecu + coils + CAS + ignitor it'd be good...

after more and more reading i think a 7mge + gte electrics is the go.

much more relibale (and slightly cheaper) than 7mge + t setup i think

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Make sure to swap the throttle body from turbo supra over as is larger and swallows more air. Also swap over the heat shields around the brake booster and clutch if manual as it saves alot of heat building up and boiling brake fluid.

it will still be auto so i wont have to worry about that, im worried about what ECU i will need, does it make much difference?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Yes turbo ecu will work better as it retards timing at high revs and allows use of six coils and better ingniton system including a crank angle sensor. A big hassell to change over and wire I know but worth it in the end. I personally had a 7mgte turbo supra in excellent condition. But saw a similar conversion carried out on a 7mge Cressida using a ebay to4 manifold and turbo and a aftermarket EMS ECU factory front mount Supra intercooler and the auto. But the turbo seized killing the engine and the auto shat if self and was replaced with a turbo supra tranny. The did not change over to proper turbo ignition and had to retard timing and power due to detinattion. Still made a creditable 230rwks due to bigger turbo manifold and aftermarket ecu and a good tune. Good luck with it.