Thread: any ideas on how to disable a rav 4 ecu immobiliser?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice ashleyw's Avatar

Default any ideas on how to disable a rav 4 ecu immobiliser?

Howdy folks, I have picked up a 1999 Rav 4, it cranks and has spark, but no fuel is going in.

I have checked that there is fuel in the rail, but there is no voltage going to the injectors. Spraying "Start ya bastard" into it gets it running, but it stops as soon as you stop spraying.

I have found a wire that has been disconnected from the key barrel plug, apparently there was an aftermarket immobiliser installed, but they removed it, and I think in doing so they have stuffed something. I can get it to start for a second if I have the immobiliser disconnected but then it dies (i assume this is what its supposed to do so you don't just rip out the immobiliser)

Does anyone know how to bypass the factory ecu immobiliser, or does anyone know a reputable autoelec in canberra? I have spent the day searching toymods and google but have no good answers, other than to replace the immobiliser and get new keys done for more than the car is worth.

Or does anyone think im completely on the wrong track and thinks its something else?

Cheers for any help

Ashley
    now complete with supercharged 1UZ goodness

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: any ideas on how to disable a rav 4 ecu immobiliser?

ring up toyota and ask if they can reprogamme the key to the factory immoboliser, some times iether from a flat battery or a short it can reset and the key wont talk to the immobiliser.
    and ask if they can put it on there test book to look for other errors maybe buggerd ecu
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Could you please confirm that toyota reprograms immobilisers, with a reference of which toyota dealership will do it?

I had discussions with two dealerships and in both cases the method of repair is to purchase a new, blank immobiliser ECU (or engine ECU depending on how the immobiliser is done), and program the keys into it. Reprogramming immobilisers, according to those two dealerships, is not available in Australia.
    This method is applicable both to immobiliser ECUs (circa $300), and engine ECU with built in immobilisers (>$2000).

The Lexus dealership provided details of a company that performs a modification to your existing ECU to allow a one time programming of your keys. This service was around $500 iirc - still ridiculous, but better than $2k.

The options for the Rav4 are to purchase this blank immobiliser ECU and program your keys into it, find an immobiliser ECU with matching keys, or get a JDM ECU which shouldn't have the immobiliser on it.

Toyota uses a different design of immobiliser depending on age. The early immobiliser systems had a separate immobiliser ECU which stored and read the code of the keys, and then communicated with the engine ECU to allow the engine to start. In later versions this immobiliser was built into the engine ECU, communicating directly with the key.
    It might be possible to spoof the communication between the immobiliser ECU and the engine ECU to make the engine ECU think it has a valid key but you would need a working set up to investigate, and is highly likely to be a lot more complex than just grounding this, or putting 12v on that.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

thats why i said "ask" because i wasnt shaw, ive sent other make cars to dealers to get this done and was not shaw if toyota do it. Ill ask toyo tomorrow to see what they say.
    but you should see if they could put it in the scanner to see if there is any other probs or if it is definetly the immobiliser, just a starting point thats all.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Junior Member Grease Monkey _FNQ_rolla_'s Avatar

Post Re: any ideas on how to disable a rav 4 ecu immobiliser?

Hi there, working as a locksmith for the last 16 years i would try the following.....

1. The little wire that you talk of that is loose near the key barrel on that model may plug into the plastic surround ring that goes around the ignition barrel on the front as they act as an aerial for the Transponder. (not too sure about that model though)

2. Was the Vehicle running before and how long ago and if so are you using that same key that was working the vehicle when the motor was working ?

3. Before shorting or even attempting to do anything to the ecu (as they will cost around $2000 to replace) take the KEY to a good Locksmith and get them to do a scan on the key that you are using to attempt to start the vehicle to make sure that there is an operational transponder chip within the key head.

4. A Locksmith (and NOT Mr Minute) will be cheaper then a Toyota dealer to have a repalcement Transponder key cut should be around the $130 (thats what we do out Toyota Transponder keys for)

5. At the worst a good Locksmith will be able to reprogram the the Transponder side of the ECU for about the $800 to $1200 with new keys (different from the old key Transponder code)

Well that is my 5c worth , hope that this helps and can you let us all know what the problem is .

Gav

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice ashleyw's Avatar

Just a quick update on my situation, After checking the wiring diagram the loose wire does go to the part of the key barrel I had reattached it to, which was encouraging, but the car still won't start.

Unfortunately I wont be able to get down to the local toyota dealer till tuesday and this is something I think will go better in person, however I do have something to try this weekend (being on call for work is preventing me from getting to dubbo, bastards) I have access to a 1997 rav 4, running the same engine but doesn't have an ecu immobiliser.

If someone upstairs likes me the ecu from it will plug into the original loom, if not then I have to do a partial loom swap, Fortunately my friend who bought the 1997 rav has already taken the bits he wants off it and I can take whatever I need for some beer, so hopefully I will be able to confirm that the car is in running order, and if toyota won't play ball, or if they want a fortune for resetting the immobiliser ecu to the master key I have, then it will be running with an aftermarket immobiliser instead of a factory one.

Thats assuming I can get the 1997 ecu to run the car properly.

Thanks for all the help so far, I will update the thread when I have something else to report, hopefully something happy.

Ash
    now complete with supercharged 1UZ goodness

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

didnt read most of it but do you have an existing master key(black one)
    If so you can reprogram another key to the immobiliser ecu
    If not you need to buy a new immobiliser ecu and transponder key set

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Immobiliser stuff
    Mos.
    You should see the diagrams for the new ones with the "Smart Key" system *Dies*
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||