Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo upgrade on 1ggte, wanna keep it twinz, possibly ct20's?

backyard mechanic Grease Monkey celica77's Avatar

Lightbulb turbo upgrade on 1ggte, wanna keep it twinz, possibly ct20's?

hey does anybody know if or the ct20's would fit to the 1ggte gen 3 manifold and if they would be a good turbo upgrade, i want to do this as i am eventually gonna go microtec and coil packs with adjustable cam gears and new cams etc, just want some idea, i really dont wanna go to a big single turbo.. and i dont wanna stress the little ct12's to much,
    any help would be much appreciated.. this is all goin in my rebuilt ra23

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: turbo upgrade on 1ggte, wanna keep it twinz, possibly ct20's?

Why don't you want to go to a big single?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Firstly, whats wrong with a single turbo?? These days you dont have t install a BIG turbo to get good power. The garrett bearing series turbos are quite affordable and spool up quite quickly. A medium sized turbo would work great and would perform way better than a pair of ct20's which are hardly a work of art!

Secondly, why twins? There are a few HKS single turbo manufolds floating around. Half the work is done there. Being a single turbo you only need to setup 1 oil feed and drain. Twin ct20 would need two custom adapters, 2 oil feeds and 2 oil drains. Then you have issues o plumbing on both the cmpressor side and the exhaust. Its giving me a headache just thinking about it!! Im sure if you have the cash to install an aftermarked ecu, cams etc, you wouldnt waste your time trying to work with crappy turbos!

Thirdly, the stockers work well with the stock ecu. The power they would push work well with the limit from the injectors. Check out rods celica, he made 190 odd rwkw's with a stock setup. Keep the boost under 15psi and they should last a fair while.

And lastly, do some research (search function) as this has been talked about to death!!
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

CT20A's will not fit on a 1G. In fact nothing apart from the stock CT12's are a direct fit.

As said a single turbo kit is the only sensible upgrade path if you want to get rid of the stock turbos.

1G beliver Backyard Mechanic BLK1g-gte's Avatar

If you look around the only other options I've seen is a set of twin TD04. There is a full kit on e-bay but needs one of the turbos rebuilt. No idea what they are cabale of or how responsive they are. Also Importbitz had another kit a while back.
    Single will be easier and cheaper and like everyone said more responsive with better usable power.

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pube
    Thirdly, the stockers work well with the stock ecu. The power they would push work well with the limit from the injectors. Check out rods celica, he made 190 odd rwkw's with a stock setup. Keep the boost under 15psi and they should last a fair while.

He's making 190rwkw with stock turbos?!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Thats correct Merudo.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Some people have this thing about twin turbos being better, for some reason. There's no tangible difference in the real world, except that twin turbos are a shitload harder to fit up and can introduce additional problems with heat dissipation.

Go for a single turbocharger.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Celica77,

The first question I have to ask is why you want to change the turbo's ? From your post it appears you have the Gen 3 1G-GTE Turbo's which seem to be quite a good thing and have been repeatably getting figures of around 170kw. They are steel wheeled so will take the abuse for at least a while

Chekc the 1G-GTE Turbo Tech thread in Tech and conversion for more info on them and I would also read over the Standard 1G-GTE Dyno thread.

Blake and kirk both make great power with there single Turbo 1G's and Blakes is still running on Stock ECU/AFM and injectors.

My 1G makes 190rwkw, Pubes made 170kw and Ben (SIKTOY"S) 1G made 178rwkw. The last figure is with programable management but stock Turbo's and Injectors. It was also with the TVIS Closed all the time

Hope that helps.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

ok well it seems that the single turbo is prolly the best option down the road,
    like i said i have plans to do up another 1G out of the car so there is no time frame pressure to have it done by,
    few questions,
    the single turbo manifolds (which brands) have been proven to fit in the ra23 engine bay and work? and secondly what single turbo would most of you reccomend, ive never seen 1 1g single turbo manifold so i dunno what the most common flanges are... like i said i will run adjustable cam gears, new cams, and microtec, i want to leave the internals stock as ive heard they can take a punnishing being forged items, umm my second question is, with the single turbo set up and these mods do you think the stock 1g injectors will flow well enough?? like ive already done all my fuel lines and stuff to 3/8ths and yeah, what size are the stock injectors anyways?
    thanks for all the help and comments,
    ill have to put up pics of my ra23 soon its comming along quite nicely been roughly 2 year build 1 on the road and over 10 G in it..
    please reply comments etc

like i said i have plans to do up another 1G out of the car so there is no time frame pressure to have it done by,
    few questions,
    the single turbo manifolds (which brands) have been proven to fit in the ra23 engine bay and work? and secondly what single turbo would most of you reccomend, ive never seen 1 1g single turbo manifold so i dunno what the most common flanges are... like i said i will run adjustable cam gears, new cams, and microtec, i want to leave the internals stock as ive heard they can take a punnishing being forged items, umm my second question is, with the single turbo set up and these mods do you think the stock 1g injectors will flow well enough?? like ive already done all my fuel lines and stuff to 3/8ths and yeah, what size are the stock injectors anyways?
    ill have to put up pics of my ra23 soon its comming along quite nicely been roughly 2 year build 1 on the road and over 10 G in it..
    please reply comments etc

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic SIKTOY's Avatar

stock injectors are only around 300cc
    reputation is nothing knowledge is everything
    RA23 1GGTE 12.3@110mph
    1980 RA40 now getting a 1G with new picsLOOK
    Don't argue with an IDIOT.He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic SIKTOY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Ben (SIKTOY"S) 1G made 178rwkw. The last figure is with programable management but stock Turbo's and Injectors. It was also with the TVIS Closed all the time
    Damn forgetting to hook up TVIS
    Last edited by TheToyman75; 08-02-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Fixing quote brackets
    reputation is nothing knowledge is everything
    RA23 1GGTE 12.3@110mph
    1980 RA40 now getting a 1G with new picsLOOK
    Don't argue with an IDIOT.He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience!

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by celica77

few questions,
    the single turbo manifolds (which brands) have been proven to fit in the ra23 engine bay and work?

my second question is, with the single turbo set up and these mods do you think the stock 1g injectors will flow well enough?? like ive already done all my fuel lines and stuff to 3/8ths and yeah, what size are the stock injectors anyways?
    The single turbo 1G route is the most likely to deliver what you are after at a lower price and with less fuss than a revised twin Turbo set up. Thats not to say twins won't work well. Denis (Grim Boy) has a wicked set of twins on his 1G RA28 and its a tough contender. Not sure what his best 1/4mile time is down to now.

As for Turbo Manifolds. Personally I have not seen anything off the shelf that I would spend my dollars on, No matter what the brand name. You just can't get any better than well built custom manifold. Personally I can't rate the JMR product highly enough and yes I use them on my TA22.

Here is a pic of some JMR genious as fitted to Ben (SikToys) 1G-GTE.

Other pics of his work can be found here.

As Ben mention the 1G Injectors are around 300cc, In theory Gen 3 1G-GTE injectors are the biggest of all 1G injectors and are 315cc. Once I get my hands on some I'll flow test them and find out what they really flow.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

fuck off the twin idea!!!!!

its way to messy, more shit to fook up, alot more cost involved with fabrications, and again MESSY,

im running a gt3071r, round $1700 retail new......

i have full boost bout 3700.....same as the factory twins, and would be shiot load more responsive than any pair of ct20's

this is my manifold as i got it 2nd hand off 6BOOST, he makes them, and this was from his ke70 pvan 1g,...

i had to move the flange plate around a bit so that the turb didn hit the steering boox, and also added the external gate aswell,

dont waste your time with twins,

blake