Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A341LE & A340LE valve bodies differances, help?

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Default A341LE & A340LE valve bodies differances, help?

first a small history, i have a 30 42LE auto box from my supra (jza70) i took the valve body out and sent it away to get modified with a shift kit, after getting the box in the car it didn't move as i put the torque converter on wrong and killed hte oil pump

now i have a replacement box for the car, 30 40LE from a soarer (jzz30) i bought this box on the premise it would suit my application, i rang MV auto's and asked them if my valve body was transferable, they had said Yes, i could use the one i got modified in the soarer box.

after pulling the boxes down and replacing everything on it needed to fit my supra i find this, the vavle bodies are differant. does anybody know if i can transfer the valve body across? heres pics.

does behind the valve bodies have the same oil paths etc to the rest of the box? i can see it has the same number of collectors on it

if anyone can enlighten me it would be great, plus also my supra one only has 3 wires into the box and to the 3 solinoids, but the soarer one has 4 wires and 4 solinoids

JZA70 30 42LE

JZZ30 30 40LE
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Default Re: A341LE & A340LE valve bodies differances, help?

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    first a small history, i have a 30 42LE auto box from my supra (jza70) i took the valve body out and sent it away to get modified with a shift kit, after getting the box in the car it didn't move as i put the torque converter on wrong and killed hte oil pump

now i have a replacement box for the car, 30 40LE from a soarer (jzz30) i bought this box on the premise it would suit my application, i rang MV auto's and asked them if my valve body was transferable, they had said Yes, i could use the one i got modified in the soarer box.

after pulling the boxes down and replacing everything on it needed to fit my supra i find this, the vavle bodies are differant. does anybody know if i can transfer the valve body across? heres pics.

does behind the valve bodies have the same oil paths etc to the rest of the box? i can see it has the same number of collectors on it

if anyone can enlighten me it would be great, plus also my supra one only has 3 wires into the box and to the 3 solinoids, but the soarer one has 4 wires and 4 solinoids

JZA70 30 42LE

JZZ30 30 40LE
    If MVs said it would then it should.
    Best thing about Toyota valve bodies is they come off as a complete unit so why not take them off and try.

maybe they will maybe they won't but looks like one is just an upgraded version to me.
    Good luck with it all.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

yeah, i hope soo, will pull them off tomorrow, so if someone knows please tell me before i fuck another box, i really don't want a 4th in my shed

i am just starting to wonder about MV's as they seem good and helpful, but he's given me bad advise already. so just thought i would see if anyone knew.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    yeah, i hope soo, will pull them off tomorrow, so if someone knows please tell me before i fuck another box, i really don't want a 4th in my shed

i am just starting to wonder about MV's as they seem good and helpful, but he's given me bad advise already. so just thought i would see if anyone knew.

I can't see how undoing a valve body would stuff a box.

Just have a real good look at the two of then side by side and if the bolt holes line up and the oil holes are right then all should be good.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Sorry to hear of your troubles Joel, I have another 30 -40LE (fixed output shaft) here, I can pull parts from if you need other bits for the cost of postage - let me know?

thanks clint, hopefully it should be ok, the 340 you sent me has taken a massive impact on the bottom, something has nailed the sump, denting that, crushing the filter, dunno if there is damage below that, will find out tomorrow, but if the valve bodies can be switched it whould be no problem
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Yep, I must admit I didn't pack it sorry dude (couldn't lift it after the Appendicitis operation), so I didn't get to see it - will happily chuck another sump et al in the post if you need it though?!

tis cool man, the sump is not a problem, i have 2 spares, just the filter, i think, but i can easily buy another one of them. nah, i am not complaining man, you did me an awsome deal on this already.

i am just curios as to wheather the valve bodies can be changed other wise i have a $400 shift kit modification down the drain that will need to be done again
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

My jzx81, A341LE box looks exactly the same as your jza70 box. I think you should just pull them off and compare. I would be trusting Mike though as he certainly seems to know his shit when I have spoken to him.

Also, are you referring to A342 or A341 as the title says A341 but pic says A342.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

it shouldn't matter, mine is a 342, but the 341 and 342 have the same valve bodies, just alot of people don't know a 342.

ok now it gets interesting.

the boxes above the valve bodies are the same, they have the same mounting points and same oil feeds/returns etc. the onyl differance i can see is the front accumulator

30 42LE

30 40LE

so hence the vavle bodies also have the same oil pickups etc, the only differance seems to be is the vavle positioning, and hence becuase of that, what are those rectangular openings on each valve shute?, they are all differant, they don't appear to go anywhere in the box? could anyone see this as a potential problem.

89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

ok, well the modified valve body is all bolted up into the new box, i changed the C-0 accumulator over from my jza70 box, since the one that was there won't suit the valve body. so heres hoping she all goes well.

if anyone knows this won't work can they please tell me before i start the car with it all in, should be good for a week or so
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I wouldnt do it , the soarer box you have is a late electronic line pressure one and is bound to be different , if you get a pre 94 soarer box it will be the same as your jza 70 box .
    If you have allready tryed this well goodluck and keep us posted.
    Dave

cheers cambelt, umm sorry whats the differance? and what could be the potential problems?

by electronic line pressure, you mean? does that have to do with the kickdown cable?

i have changed the valve bodies over, but the box is still out of the car. one of the reasons i don't want to use the valve body from the soarer box is, a) my computer only has 3 wires so it can't control the 4 wires into that box, also b) that dent in the fitler has gone through and crack the housing around it on the valve body. like i said it must have been a damn hard hit.
    Last edited by wiso; 01-09-2006 at 06:46 PM.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

I fitted a transfer case off an A340H transmission to an A341E transmission and used the A340H valve body on the A341E . The A341E was a V8 transmission with more clutches
    and solenoids than the A340 and has different (taller) first and reverse ratios. The only issue I had with the lack of the pressure control solenoid was harsh engagement of first gear from neutral. This I solved by fitting a restrictor in the line to the forward clutches. I used an 8MM plug with a 1MM hole drilled in it. This slowed the engagement of the forward clutches and it now takes a couple of seconds to engage first gear. In the picture you will see an allen key hanging out of the hole with the restrictor in it.I did not have to tap the hole in the case I just screwed the plug in
    A340e transmissions were in 6 Cylinder Soarers(JZZ) and A341Es were in V8s(UZZ)
    Last edited by madmont; 02-09-2006 at 10:54 PM.

cheers for the info madmont.

also a341le weren't only in V8, the 341 was also behind the 1J chaser,
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers