Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How does it work: 4age oil pump?

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Default Re: How does it work: 4age oil pump?

Sorry to dig this up again, I'm still at with the pump.

So I've opened up my stock Smallport 4AGE pump and checked the clearances, the side clearance looks like it's a bit over spec unfortunately (does anyone know if thei can cause a rattle at idle?)

I thought I'd give the Aisin pumps on eBay a go so I ordered one.

It came in a box like this:

The casting looks more coarse than the stock pump, has Aisin inked on it with the area where the Toyota logo would be melted off.

The oil pickup inlet is smaller in diameter than the Smallport one:

The drive gear is also narrower than the Smallport stock one:

It's quite the difference as you can see here in the pump gear (7.5mm vs 9.5mm):

Is this an early 4AGE oil pump? Does anyone know why the pump gear was widened? What effect does widening the gear actually have? I assume it's to increase volume but the question then is why? Would it be because of the piston oil squirters and oil cooler? Is there any detrimental effect of running the narrow gear pump?

Also is there actually an aftermarket pump that has the wider gear or am I going to have to get genuine one? (are Toga still around?)
    Just trying to find out what my options are.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

personally... I'd avoid the non Toyota Aisin pumps...

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15957
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

I have done a little bit of my own research now as well, here's what I found:

- On the 7afe pump I took apart it has wave teeth but they where thin

- Of the many pumps I took apart the wave type I had with the wide teeth had a 12.6mm oil outlet. However... the oil gallery from the pump to the block was only 12mm (20V). So it's obvious from that there isn't any point porting the outlet then.

- There where however multiple 90 degree edges in the oil path. The worst of the lot was from the oil gallery in the block to the back of the oil filter. I definately want to put a radius on this on my new engine. There apears to be lots of material to do so. I also think that porting the oil pump in general is a sound idea, even the harsh edges from the intlet and outlet.

- The oil pressure releif hole is very small, I don't know if it's true that they build up a lot of internal pressure however if so it would be because of this small hole. Now drilling it out sounds like a bad idea to me because it would change the height of it first opening. That said I was thinking that smoothing the edges and making it into a oval shape very carefully would help a lot. Just like on the 2 stroke engines, make it bigger but keep the port timing the same.

Now I don't understand metalurgy much so I ask the question- would putting these gears in a cryo bath do anything?

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post
    personally... I'd avoid the non Toyota Aisin pumps...

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15957
    Perhaps the aisin ones were actually china ripoffs? Although I have seen OEM manufacturers that make equipment of "the same spec" as the brand name ones, but with cost cutting measures where it counts, such as the thinner gears etc. Could even be made of crappier grade steel too. Considering toyota owns aisin I wouldnt have thought that would be the case, but you never know...

As always, TGP is the way to go for peace of mind I guess...
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Dont get a Toga. They are the teeth style and narrow gears. They ripped me off.

Genuine Toyota ones are the only way to go.
    You can also get Toda upgraded gears which are made from a stronger material so they dont break at high rpm when racing. But they are not cheap around the $400 mark just for the gears.
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I have read this thread 3 times and the info is very good. However, I'm looking for some specific info on an upgraded oil pump for a 4AGE NA racer I campaign in the USA. Is there an AE 101GZE oil pump still available in your country? If so, I need the name of a supplier, part number, and possible costs. I've tried sourcing the TOGA pump but it is no longer available in the USA. If those of you from down under still have access to the TOGA pump, please provide info on it as well. I've blown 2 expensive engines due to oil pump gears breaking. One was the latest style pump from Toyota. I need a pump for a 16v 4AGE engine that regularly sees 9,000 RPM for road racing and the rules don't allow using dry sump. Any info would be most appreciated. I believe something is available, I just don't know who has it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racermr2 View Post
    I have read this thread 3 times and the info is very good. However, I'm looking for some specific info on an upgraded oil pump for a 4AGE NA racer I campaign in the USA. Is there an AE 101GZE oil pump still available in your country? If so, I need the name of a supplier, part number, and possible costs. I've tried sourcing the TOGA pump but it is no longer available in the USA. If those of you from down under still have access to the TOGA pump, please provide info on it as well. I've blown 2 expensive engines due to oil pump gears breaking. One was the latest style pump from Toyota. I need a pump for a 16v 4AGE engine that regularly sees 9,000 RPM for road racing and the rules don't allow using dry sump. Any info would be most appreciated. I believe something is available, I just don't know who has it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the late model pumps (redtop 4age etc) use the larger gears.
    We can get the OEM Toyota AE101 oil pumps, they are approx $260NZD.

Toda are also making upgraded gears for these pumps which is a direct drop in made from high quality steel. The OEM gears are not very strong and constant use at high rpm can see them to break. The upgraded gears by Toda are not cheap though at around the $500nzd mark.
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

As above. I have the pumps also for sale and for a similar price. You need to get one of these 20v pumps with the round teeth and get the drop in Toda gears. Or source a second hand 20v pump, make sure it's off a silvertop then put the Toda gears in that.