Thread: Microtech and LS1 Coils

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Microtech and LS1 Coils

Hey lads,

i have a microtech LT10-s and an x4 ignitor box, but i have LS1 coils that have inbuilt ignitors and require a positive pulse to spark.

SO could someone tell me if the ecu sends a positive or negative pulses to x4 box?
    if the pulses are positive(i hope they are) then can i discard the x4 module and run the ecu pulses straight to the coils?

the coils only require 3-5v to reach maximum spark.

tell me what u think guys!!

cheers

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Default Re: Microtech and LS1 Coils

Speak to Michrotech. Having said that, some simple electronics should be able to invert a negative signal and provide a +5v trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

i agree, a simple transistor switch and a resistor would do the trick, but i would rather avoid that option, there seems to be no point in using the X4.
    I spose if someone could put an led test light in one of the 4 output ignition wires out of a microtech the ecu and tell me if there + or -. when running, that would be my answer.

microtech people take time to help unfortnuatly.

cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Microtech ECU's run a -ve trigger from the ECU to the "X Box". It will need to be a fast transistor switch as you need to maintain aprox 5ms of dwell for the LS1's through out the entire rev range if the switch is out by a couple of ms at high rpm the timing my be out a mile

Thanks for that mate, i was worried about the time it takes to switch a transistor. thats why i did not want to take that option.

As you can see in the diagram above, the LS1 coil has 4 wires, 12v, Earth, ecu earth and ecu +5v. From factory the 'ecu earth' is always earth, it has something to do with the misfire detection system i think. would it be possible to connect the ecu +5v to a constant 5v source(ie. resistor in-line connected to 12v ignition) and running either the the pulsed microtech earth to 'ecu earth' OR the pulsed earth from the X4 Module.

I dont know whether the ignitor inside the LS1 coil could work this way, or if it is possible to do this at all. Just trying to get around this problem!!!

also can the X4 module be worked to switch a positive pulse??? instead of its negative output?

ok, after finally getting a call back from microtech, i have a solution.

It turns out that when you have the microtech configured to run a X4 box, the microtechs 4 coil outputs(grey wires) are changed to a +12v pulse, this would then go to the X4 box and be converted to a negative pulse for operation of 'standard' style coils.(yellow wires)

so basically i can run the microtechs 4 wires straight from the ecu to the coils, with no x4 box.

Cheers for the input guys.

glad you got your result finally....
    My rotary goes Buuuuuzzzzzzzz!