Thread: 20v into ke70/ae86/ae71

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 20v into ke70/ae86/ae71

someone just asked my how you do this conversion and whats required, thought i might share my experience with everyone else too thats interested

alright its a pretty big job! well start with the 4a powered car as this will make it ALOT easier! for starters it comes with a hydraulic clutch setup which is a bit of a pain to fit - requires pulling your dash apart and drilling holes for the pedal box to mount up and also the clutch master. Then there is the cross members for engine and gearbox which you will need from the 4a powered car. With these you can bolt the 4age straight up.

Thats just to put the engine in. next you have to put in the fuel system - use a VL commodore fuel pump (also the same as VL turbo and Camira) and wire it up to a relay, triggered by the starter relay wire and the oil pressure switch unless you have a fuel pump relay already with the computer which runs off the air flow meter reading.

You're probably best off using an aftermarket computer instead of the factory one as wiring was a pain in the arse for the stock one. If you keep the stock computer you have to either hammer in your firewall where the distributer sits and just extend the loom that runs around the drivers side of the engine. If you dont want to hammer the firewall you can do as i did and get a DLI converter box so you can get rid of the Dizzy and run just the base as a cam angle sensor(CAS). This box tricks the computer into thinking it still has the dizzy. For this mod you have to run two 20v igniters and 4agze coilpacks in a wasted spark setup. This requires a fair bit of rewiring and thats why i say just get an aftermarket computer, as at least then it leaves room for upgrades later on.

The computer will also need a relay to power it as well as power for both the injectors and igniter box - best to use seperate fused relays for each of these.

If you use the stock computer you will also have to get a custom plenum made up as you will still have to run an AFM(air flow meter) whereas if you use aftermarket you can run a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor and then just have the trumpets sticking out.

Next is the water system, you have to get rid of the thermostat setup on the back of the head and put a blanking plate in its place which will still allow water to flow around the head, and then an external thermostat will need to be fitted (easiest one to use is off the front wheel drive corollas ie ae82) which gets places in line with the water pipe at the back of the water pump and then to the radiator. It will also need a water temp pipe which is bled from the top radiator hose to the thermostat also.

I think that just about covers it, if i think of anything else i'll let you know...

Insert whitty comment her Automotive Encyclopaedia blacktop's Avatar

Default Re: 20v into ke70/ae86/ae71

OR JUST PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT

very detailed and i did learn somthing (the hole aftermarket computer thing), i like to see this sort of thread cos this is why we have forums. not like those dillweeds that reply with nothing but Google.
    good work

Is not a good Backyard Mechanic GtiRboy's Avatar

some good information there man, as blacktopspirit said, this is the stuff i and alot of other members like to see!
    Mmmmmmmm 2ZZGE

Junior Member Grease Monkey

no worries! i know what yas mean, i had a hard time doin my conversion just cos i had to research so much! any more questions just ask - thats what im here for

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice SLO-055's Avatar

great bit of info there
    one thing though...replacement camira and vl fuel pumps all share the same part number however doing a bit of research (i work for holden) they had different part numbers when they originally came out, as to whether this means they don't pump as much i can't be sure, i have an original je camira fuel pump i've been meaning to get it tested, but haven't got round to it.
    anyway just a word of caution, would suck to buy a pump on the idea it pumped so much, only to find out it flows alot less.
    insert witty post here, to allow people to see how funny and intelligent i am, and how much they would like to be like me.