Thread: 2t/3t hybrid on 2tgeu computer...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Default 2t/3t hybrid on 2tgeu computer...

Will this be ok? The stock 2tgeu is 1600cc , my hybrid is now close to 1910cc. I have everything I need to run the stock efi and was thinking of wiring it all up now, initially wanted to run aftermarket. If I can run it in on the 2tgeu computer for a while till the financial situation improves a little, it woud be ideal. Can anyone see any problems with this? Should also add that the cams are not the stock grind(I believe this is the biggest issue(?)Cheers!
    Last edited by shelldrake; 18-07-2006 at 01:16 PM.
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 2t/3t hybrid on 2tgeu computer...

The cams will be your biggest issue, not to mention that you are probably running more compression then standard for the 2TGEU, however the computer should run it (depending on how hot your cams are) but be very mindful of detonation caused by a lean mixture - I would just get it running then get it checked to see what your air/fuel ratios are like before doing too much with it.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

You "should" be okay given its AFM so will read the extra air, but after putting money into a hybrid do you really want to get it wrong? At least take it VERY easy until you have a proper tune in place and possibly retard the timing a little.

Callum

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Mmmmm....I've recently got onto a set of carbies, so I might just run them (while I'm running the motor in anyway), then when I can afford it install the aftermarket option rather than be a tightarse. Thanks guys!
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Regardless of running EFI or Carbies - it still needs to be tuned correctly for the components that your running. Carbies will still need to be jetted correctly by someone who KNOW's that type of carby, and preferably your type of engine as well. It still comes down to dyno time!! It may end up being cheaper to setup your aftermarket EFI rather then hooking up carbies AND getting them tuned, not to mention if they need a rebuild.

This is half the reason that I left the standard comp and cams in my 18RG when I rebuilt it - I didn't want to have to play with jetting.

Some people will still insist that carbies will ultimately make more power - and I don't disagree with them - but for a street car EFI is nice, smooth, easy to start, etc.

Sean Malony (Toyota TwinCam) always prefered well setup carbies for outright power and throttle response.

I agree with WDE_BDY, if you've poured a bit of cash into this engine then you might be better to let it sit a little while until you have the cash to do it properly, rather then half ass now and risk damage.