Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilux Diff question

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Hilux Diff question

I have just started looking into the Hilux diff information, can someone answer these questions ?
    The Hilux diff is known as a G series Diff - correct ?

Will all other G series diff centres fit into the Hilux housings ?

What prices are the diff centres with and without LSD worth ?

I found this PDF http://www.difflap.com.au/ratios1.pdf It is a huge list of diff ratios so I hope people find it usefull
    Thanks.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: Hilux Diff question

have a look through this, i may help.

http://www.norbie.net/ToyotaAxle/Search.aspx

also do a search and i think there are a few extra threads bout the G series diff and what they look like and how they can be interchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

Yes Hilux diffs are identified as a G series.

Non IRS G series centres are interchangeable, The IRS centre carriers can be fitted with some modifications.

LSD centres vary in price, a hilux centre would be around the $400 mark, but will vary depending condition etc. Not sure on prices of open centres.

Cheers
    -Phil

slide86 - yes I have already found this page - Thanks I have searched a few threads.

Pure_In_Sanity - This is what I thought from what I have read. Thank you for the reply it is exactly the info I needed.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

The best thing to do is buy a Hiace/ Hilux diff (same) for say $400 (well thats what im asking) and buy a mk3 Supra LSD (MA70, JZA70) for about $400 And install that. If you score a complete supra ass end, you can also use the supra ventilated discs on the diff.
    All up the above shouldnt cost more than 1 grand.

Other alternative is buying a 1990+ 4x4 rear diff with a Stock LSD. this would just need converting from 6 back to 5 stud. (no worries there, just need axles from a 2wd)

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Or, I know SOMEONE around here has a nice hilux diff that coudl be up for sale soon.... A good bit of kit it is.. :-)
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

Yeah that would be me

If you're in the market for a hilux diff I have an early type 1370mm complete assembly for sale. Getting VERY hard to find nowadays so I'm asking $400 for it. I'm trying to flog it on Ausrotary at the moment, if it doesn't sell, I'll put it up here for a little less

As for disk brakes & lsd setup, I'd hazard a guess it would cost a bit more than a grand.
    First you need the diff, then you need the mounts swapped (say $350ish), theres the brakes ($250 set ma70 CVAP), Axle seals & bearings, New pads, machine rotors?
    To install a supra type lsd centre will require a spacer ring and possibly machining the head of the pinion.

It all adds up real quick, especially if you have to pay someone to do it.

Thanks guys. My car is a Gemini race car and I am thinking of buying a Hilux diff that has already been setup, it has a 4.88 LSD centre. The reason I started this thread was I needed to know if all G series centres would fit incase I wanted a different ratio i.e 4.11,4.3 currently I use a 4.375 ratio.
    Another question is are there any 4 pinion or torsden lsd's that suit ?
    Thanks

I'm running the JZA70 torsen centre in mine. I required a 3mm spacer ring between the crownwheel and the carrier. I also needed to take about 1.5mm off the top of the pinion as the carrier interfered with it in some places. I am concerned that the pinion may start to wear away due to loosing the case hardening off it's head. I'm running a big magnet under the diff to catch any filings etc and I'm going to take it out to inspect once it's got several hundred kays on it. Been going well for over a week so far

Most of the 4x4 hilux's ran 4 pinion lsd's.

Quote Originally Posted by gemtoy
    Thanks guys. My car is a Gemini race car and I am thinking of buying a Hilux diff that has already been setup, it has a 4.88 LSD centre. The reason I started this thread was I needed to know if all G series centres would fit incase I wanted a different ratio i.e 4.11,4.3 currently I use a 4.375 ratio.
    Another question is are there any 4 pinion or torsden lsd's that suit ?
    Thanks

Buy a ford nine inch in that case dude. Theres kits available, shitloads of gemini's running around with them in it. Cost you less, and you can get lsds and ratios by the thousand. Gt diffs come with 280 odd mm vented discs fyi too.

Supra diffs are 4 pinion lsd, hilux diffs are 2 pinon open or 4 pinion lsd (1987+)

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    Buy a ford nine inch in that case dude. Theres kits available, shitloads of gemini's running around with them in it. Cost you less, and you can get lsds and ratios by the thousand. Gt diffs come with 280 odd mm vented discs fyi too.

Supra diffs are 4 pinion lsd, hilux diffs are 2 pinon open or 4 pinion lsd (1987+)
    Thanks Robbos_Toyotas. With the rules we have, I need to attach to the original mountings ! The diff I am looking at has been modified to fit with limited work. Nine inch diffs are even heavier . wrx rotors with R32 calipers already setup.

Quote Originally Posted by gemtoy
    Thanks Robbos_Toyotas. With the rules we have, I need to attach to the original mountings ! The diff I am looking at has been modified to fit with limited work. Nine inch diffs are even heavier . wrx rotors with R32 calipers already setup.

the difference in weight is fuck all....ive carried both

Anyway, fit what you want

User Conversion King

MX83 grande's have 4 pinion clutch type LSD's.

i sold one not long ago for about $350

good thing about them is that 'mature' people usually own them so they havent had and 'skidz' action (unless it was a young hoon who fitted a 1JZ )
    hello

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Could someone stick up a pic of a hilux/hiace that carries a suitable solid axle.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Wait for confirmation, but i think this is the go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-HILUX_...mZ140009463622
    Is it a RN20 or RN40?
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz