Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible blown turbo in 1JZ

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Default possible blown turbo in 1JZ

i have a problem with my 1JZ, its making a god awful squealing noise when it comes close to boost and anything over it.

its like one of those blower things u give to kids at party's, but massively louder, its very audible outside the car, and near impossible to accelerate over 30kph without it doing it.

hardcore seems to think its the turbo bearings, but the noise went away over 7psi for a few days, but now its back,

i just dont wanna spend 12 hours changing the turbos if its something else
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: possible blown turbo in 1JZ

sounds like the sort of noise a dry bearing makes. you know when you spin them up using compressed air.....

is it really loud right next to the turbos? possibility that one of the wheels is hitting on the housing....you may have to go down the 12hr road

DISCLAIMER: spinning bearings up with compressed air is VERY dangerous. i am not suggesting people should do it to hear the noise, please dont do it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Really sounds like a stuffed turbo. When you really get the boost up the noise sometimes can dissapear, i'm not sure how but a turbo diesel i have is in the same boat with a garrat turbo. Could get it rebuilt but not worth the cost. (second hand cheapie replacement)
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

that's famous in the 2j especially - apparently the 2nd turbo makes that noise as it dies.
    time for a change
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

fuckity fuck fuck shit.

thanks fellas.

what could've cause it

i changed my oil on sat morn, went to the drags wed night and did 13 runs, got dumps on thur, made noise when i picked it up on friday.

the car was running around for 18 months with a 2" press bent MX83 7MGE exhaust on it, with the wastegates jammed shut {whole other kettle of fish } could that've slowl;y over heated the exhaust wheels.

am i doing any damage driving it
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

quite possibly old age is doing it.. how many kms on the clock?
    you're not doing any damage as such... but if your exhaust wheel happens to explode if the bearing fails, then you'll run the risk of doing damage
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

with the bigger dumps you were probably slighly over-speeding the turbines.

Instead of he rear wheel simply falling off (or shattering like wilbo's did) yours has decided that the bearing (which was probably coping with the slightly lower speeds that the 2" system allowed it) should begin a noisy slide into oblivion and death.

those turbos are not floating ball-bearing types, just ageing and use will start to wear on the shaft, bearing sleeves and seals.

Wilbo's a bit of an expert on changing the rear turbine - he did his in less than a day.

sorry ;(

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Mine was FOD, sure of it (not sure how it got in tho ). Mine never made boost...

I'd pull the dumps off and inspect the turbos, at least you know what is going on then! Sure it isn't that fun, but it really isn't the worst thing to do in the world like some people make out...

You have checked to make sure that all the lines (wastegates) etc are connected since they installed the dumps?

As Charles said, I had my turbos changed in about 4-5hrs? (no skids->skids in 4-5hrs )

Cheers
    Wilbo

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Wilbo: was that one of my turbos that died or another? I am forgetful

Phil: If one of your turbos is dead, may be worth looking into the Subaru turbo upgrade that 2jzr31 and his mate are doing at the moment. It isn’t finished yet but it looks like a nice package. Uses wrx turbos which can push 18psi on a 2L and they apparently all have the same flange as bigger ones like sti ones. He said the turbos he is using are the smaller ones and are only about $150 each.

You would need:
    Adaptor plates to stock exhaust manifolds
    2 turbos
    Oil lines
    Water lines?
    Redo dumps (or sell yours to jzx83 owner and get new ones, probably easier as this setup is both facing forward)
    Cooler piping
    Inlet piping

If you haven’t seen it ask 2jzr31 about it. It is in the projects section on SF.com.au.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

i reckon get another set of turbos.

lets get a 2800 stall in it, go run a 13.2 at 103 mph.

then lets put a good intercooler in it FCD and go run a 12.8 then lets get a shift kit and run a 12.6.

then lets get a microtech and run a 12.4

then lets get a 40 shot of gas in her and run an 11 on stock turbos.

then i reckon go the wrx turbos.

if i had my time again thats how id do it.

but it all comes back to the folding green stuff.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    Wilbo: was that one of my turbos that died or another? I am forgetful

Phil: If one of your turbos is dead, may be worth looking into the Subaru turbo upgrade that 2jzr31 and his mate are doing at the moment. It isn’t finished yet but it looks like a nice package. Uses wrx turbos which can push 18psi on a 2L and they apparently all have the same flange as bigger ones like sti ones. He said the turbos he is using are the smaller ones and are only about $150 each.
    Twas my other one. I have both your old turbos on now.

Re the VF12? (subaru) turbos, that seems really cheap lol.

I've got 2x T25G's (S13 Silvia SR20) turbos that I will be looking to mount in a very similar fashion to the subaru's....

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

i know its not 'likely' but it could be just a boost leak if its whistly etc...

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

I've drive with the pipes off and it didn't sound as harsh as whats discribed. Could be the leak is making a sought of make-shift 'wistle' but I do think it'd be just a boost leak. Check first tho, ya never know I guess, and it could save you a bunch o time and money.
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

that's kinda clutching at straws - it really really sounds like a turbo wheel is trying to escape out the exhaust

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

its also easier to check/fix than turbos ive had some pretty bloody rotten noises from where rubber/silicone hoses meet pipes, from high-pitched farts to dog-whistle type noises..

another way to check is with a long screwdriver, put the blade against the housing, and your ear against the handle.. will help you isolate the noise. (for turbo bearing/noise) that is..

this might sounds stupid, but your dumps don't dump wastegate gases to atmosphere? (my screamer used to make some obscure noises)