Thread: ST171 Corona running celica GT4 hardware?

Forum Member

Default ST171 Corona running celica GT4 hardware?

Hey Guys,

Ive been searching for such forum for ages.

I have a Toyota Corona(ST171) with the 3S-GE engine and want more power, so options would be tweaking the current engine or fitting the 3S-GTE. Im more interested in the 3S-GTE but the idea of having a powerful FWD car is just plain silly(IMO).

I came across a similar Toyota Corona but with a chassis designation of AT175. It looks exactly like my model type but with a 4A-FE engine and 4WD. I believe this model is for cold/icy weather countries like Russia..etc.

http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...a/1991_6/4218/

Ok, Since a 4WD version of my Corona exist and the likelyhood of getting the rear cut is very very slim, I was wondering if there's a possibility of using the Celica GT4's rear end, ie diff housing/carrier, fuel tank suspension bits and fit them to my Corona?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers.
    Last edited by cylinderhead; 11-07-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

Default Re: ST171 Corona running celica GT4 hardware?

Anything can be done with enough money. But whether it's worth it is the real question.

Are the floors of the ST171 and AT175 the same? ie: Is there a hump for the driveshaft to go to the back in your car?

I wouldn't think there's any correlation between the GT-Four bits and the ST17x bits. So I would say that it's highly unlikely that the GT-Four rear end would fit as a bolt on.

Having said that, I have no idea and I'm just giving you my opinion, not fact.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

Forum Member

Default Re: ST171 Corona running celica GT4 hardware?

Thanks for the feedback Nark.

Yes, there's a hump for the propeller shaft to the rear of the car.

The issues I would face would be:-

Engine crossmember
    Fuel tank
    Placing the rear diff

Does anyone have a photo of the Celica GT4's crossmember, floorpan and the rear diff side? I'd really appreciate it if someone could attach them here. That would be nice.