Thread: sensor resistance?

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default sensor resistance?

hi , ive done a little bit more wiring today and in trying to get a engine speed. ive wired the cas as it shows and as it makes sense. i put a multimeter on just to theck that it was working correctly and the resistance doesnt drop at all resulting in the ecu not picking up the trigger. i tried another wire combination and still the same result, the cam sensor is doing exactly the same thing does anyone know what would be causing this?

the only thing i can think of that the sensors are faulty but that doesnt add up because the car was running perfect before i took it off the road to put in the ecu. and i find it hard to believe that both sensors would shit them selves at the same time

its a 3 wire cas off a 3rzfe if that helps at all

thanks
    Last edited by BeRad; 09-07-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Default Re: sensor resistance?

i got no idea but the 3 wire soarer one needs 12V and GND on two of the pins and the third one square waves between them. Frequency increases with speed
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: sensor resistance?

Toyota CAS sensors are usually VR sensors and they don't produce a square wave output - a scope makes it much easier to view the result.

Also, a VR sensor usually only has 2 wires - earth (which is connected to the shield back at the ECU) and signal - it generates it own current as the tooth passes the tip of the sensor (note: these things are also prone to interference, hence the shielded cable).

Hall effect sensors have three wires (if they're not earthing thru their mount): 12 or 5V supply, an earth and an signal output that is a square wave.

Maybe the CAS has two pickups? If it's driven off a cam then it might be two teeth and two sensors - much like any DLI ignition setup.

Without sighting a 3RZ wiring diagram or a peek inside the sensor housing i'm only guessing as to the sensor type. I can't see your pics of the engine (am at work) so am guessing as to how the sensor is mounted.

cheers,
    Charles.