Thread: GX71/MX73 brake upgrade, the easy way...

Forum Sponsor Backyard Mechanic Soarer21's Avatar

Default GX71/MX73 brake upgrade, the easy way...

For those of you wondering about an easy brake upgrade for your MX73 or similar cressidas I have done one recently to my GX71 Mark2 which turned out to be easier then expected.

I used JZX81 Jap spec rotors and calipers. The rotors needed some small machinging to fit onto the GX71 hubs and I also have to change to JZX81 wheel studs too as they are longer. I needed the longer studs because the rotor on the Mk2 bolted on to the rear of the std hub where the JZX81 sits over the outside of the hub instead. This will space your wheels out around 6-7mm or so but since I run 5mm spacers on the front anyway this is no issue for me but is instead a desired outcome.
    Once the rotor was machined to fit over the X71 hub the caliper was fitted to it so an adapter could be made and whaddya know, it bolted right into place on the factory bracketing. Presto, instant brake upgrade.
    From 258mmx18mm to 280mmx32mm with a pad area increase as well.

I dont have any pics of it at the moment to show you exactly what was done, but I'll get some in the next few days and put them up as a guide.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: GX71/MX73 brake upgrade, the easy way...

Thats pretty much identical to the way I do it, but with Toyota parts.

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

Sorry dude, a bit confused.
    Did the machining involve redrilling the rotors to retain the 4 wheel stud setup of the GX71?

EDIT: Nevermind mind, Cruzida'a post summed it up just fine. My brain is working a bit slower today (Golf + Sunday Sesh)
    Last edited by MacroP; 18-12-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Forum Sponsor Backyard Mechanic Soarer21's Avatar

The machining involved making the JZX81 rotor 4 stud, and the rotor locating properly on the hub so it spins true without wobbling.
    The nissan caliper I have already done quite a while ago but it presents the usual nissan issue of trying to find a rim that will fit over the chunky 4 piston hunk of alloy. On top of that is the cost of having to buy the 4 piston calipers as opposed to people usually discarding the JZX81 brakes.
    JZX81 brakes are more then adequate for performance street use on the light weight 70 series cars. Will even stand up to some solid track work.
    My requirement was to retain 4 stud wheel pattern, retain the original strut and be able to fit my 9inch deep dish rims on the front of the car. Not too many 9inch rims out there with a 75mm dish and +11 offset that will fit over nissan brakes Im afraid.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I know what you mean about the Nissan calipers.

I searched around for a bit for SR20DET S13 brakes, (which are pretty much identical to JZX81 brakes), but everyone wanted $250ish for them.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS