Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 Commodore to Toyota Crown

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default V6 Commodore to Toyota Crown

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen or fitted a V6 Commodore engine and auto into a Crown before, I recently saw one fitted into a HQ Holden ute and was thinking the Crown and the HQ chassis are much the same and yes I know there are V6 Toyota motors but the Commodore engines are priced better, I looked on ebay and an entire Commodore can be bought for $3,000 so the engine, box, electrics and computer can be used.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: V6 Commodore to Toyota Crown

Struth...a picture tells a thousand stories.

There really wouldn't be much to it - mounts, sump, wiring and a high pressure fuel system - although it is a 90 degree V6 so the right rear bank might want to occupy the same space as the steering box but you could probably tilt the motor over a touch and be fine. I'd be looking to the Hilux V6 conversions that are out there for some ideas re fitment - is it Marks conversions that do this sort of thing?

It then begs the question - why you would do all the work of fitting a shit Rattletec into a car when there are about 20 different and better examples to pick from?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

1or2JZGE with auto would be as cheap as a Moo motor and 110000 times better. Even a 7MGE would be more practical. Teh P00 > Teh M00.

Yeah, 7MGE would be pick of the bunch.

2JZGE engine/auto with ECU would easily be same price as a good condition Rattler. Problem is finding the right sump - new one (as JZK25 knows) is a bit exxy.

Ok then Gianttomato what would be the best V6 conversion from the better 20 and whats a shit rattletec.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Why does it need to be a V6? They're talking about inline sixes, which will fit just fine since that's what the Crown came with in the first place. The "rattletec" he's referring to is the Ecotec, ie Commodore V6, which is a shit engine. Yes they're cheap and reliable but they don't have much else to recommend them.

I would recommend the 7M-GE if you want an easy conversion or a 2JZ-GE if you want something a bit more modern and powerful. Both will fit easily with the correct sump and both will be far better than the Commodore lump.

Slanted Photographer Automotive Encyclopaedia LeaThaL's Avatar

even tho its going to seem like a trator talk here, but im with you 1975toyotacrown, ive driven both a 4runner as manual and auto both running VR motors (proper buick engine) and the auto was lame but the manual was awesome! i really miss that car lol same with a mates ke55 running a manual VR motor and a manual VN, in manual form these engines are pretty good, fuel use isnt really that bad seeing is basicly a 4L v6, auto form their sluggish and tame but manual can really get outta hand.

i currently own a deisel pajero and im seriously thinking about fitting a VR motor to it once the motor dies.

the only serious flaws are the random BHG but its not hard to do, and my 4runners VR motor had a decent bottom end knock yet my mate sam is still driving it around, going off road etc, and even then, you need to replace it, you can get a VN motor WITH manual box for a grand/ full motor for 500

yes its easyer to fit something like a 7m or 2jz but i feel if its a daily driver that your gunna thrash/bash around in i personally would do the 3,8 swap but dont go ecotec get a VR motor, series 2 are the best but the only real differences between VN/VP model engines is the coilpacks and a few sensors which you can upgrade anyways, their all just bolt on
    1 G L O V E
    88 Ga70 supra --- Under powered and over cooled Daily

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeaThaL View Post
    even tho its going to seem like a trator talk here, but im with you 1975toyotacrown, ive driven both a 4runner as manual and auto both running VR motors (proper buick engine) and the auto was lame but the manual was awesome! i really miss that car lol same with a mates ke55 running a manual VR motor and a manual VN, in manual form these engines are pretty good, fuel use isnt really that bad seeing is basicly a 4L v6, auto form their sluggish and tame but manual can really get outta hand.

i currently own a deisel pajero and im seriously thinking about fitting a VR motor to it once the motor dies.

the only serious flaws are the random BHG but its not hard to do, and my 4runners VR motor had a decent bottom end knock yet my mate sam is still driving it around, going off road etc, and even then, you need to replace it, you can get a VN motor WITH manual box for a grand/ full motor for 500

yes its easyer to fit something like a 7m or 2jz but i feel if its a daily driver that your gunna thrash/bash around in i personally would do the 3,8 swap but dont go ecotec get a VR motor, series 2 are the best but the only real differences between VN/VP model engines is the coilpacks and a few sensors which you can upgrade anyways, their all just bolt on

Moo tec V6's are hideous rattleboxes and are not particularly reliable. The autos are also rubbish.
    The car would be better with a 5ME and early 4 speed auto.

I do agree that the Moobox is a reasonable choice for a hilux bush basher but not for a crown.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Mr89Cressida's Avatar

Vn/Vp were crap the electrics that was with the motor were shit, also the vn/vp came with the non sequention injections which meant fuel was wasted, also they are oil using and leaking engine, also the coil packs are crap as is the DFI moduel and the good old crank angle sensor, and for practical point a inline 6 from any toyota would be more reliable then the comowhore counter part..

Also LeaThal just wondering when your pajero deisel die's why would you replace a shit motor with an even more shitter one?

The only reason why holden is using the buick motor is coz the yanks upgraded to a bigger shitbox motor and gm australia bought it coz they cant build a motor them selves they have to use crappy american technology...

My advice is take the better engine spend more $$$ and take the easier parth, unless you like to pioneer things then by all means go ahead with a comowhore motor
    I Dont Care How Fast It Is There Is No Joy In A Diesel...
    MX83 7M-GE Turbo 280Kw@rw 7psi
    If Its Broken Use A Cable Tie...
    Subaru Legacy B4 Twin Turbo

What is the fascination with a V6 motor?

That 80 series of yours has plenty of engine bay. Look up user CrownV8 (Shane) - he has a 1UZ in his 80 series wagon. You could pick up a 1UZ halfcut for sub 2K - will give you almost everything you need for the conversion. This conversion would be 11ty times better than a 3.8 litre rattly piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr89Cressida View Post
    Also LeaThal just wondering when your pajero deisel die's why would you replace a shit motor with an even more shitter one?
    just as a "i did it" kinda thing really, but the problem there is the fact that my pajero is just on 413 000kms now and still going strong, i just did the timing belt yesterday as i just had to fix a fuel leak from the deiesl pump but yeah. apart from the odd alternator issue or a hose leak ive not had an issue with the car, and i got it from the stepdad and he had it from new and he never really had any issues, i aways hear horror storys about these engines but ive yet to see it

but when it does come down to the bolt in ability of a 5mge/6mge/7mge you can do this but i would go commonhore for the cheap motor but if i had the $$$ i would go 1uz, i wanna go 1uz in my Ms63 but im still broke!

each to their own really
    1 G L O V E

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Mr89Cressida's Avatar

Fair enough bud, just that is a hell of a lot of work just to say I DID IT
    I Dont Care How Fast It Is There Is No Joy In A Diesel...
    MX83 7M-GE Turbo 280Kw@rw 7psi
    If Its Broken Use A Cable Tie...
    Subaru Legacy B4 Twin Turbo

very true, its only a idea im toying with, but 1uz would be the go if i had the coin and as gianttomato said, you can get a 1uz cut for the price youd have to pay for the full car to do the convertion so yeah

as said before its each to their own
    1 G L O V E

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

7m all the way.

crown already has an M series motor yeah? piss easy conversion then

plus u can usually pick em up for free or beer.

slip a head gasket in while its out and ull be all good.

Thanks guys I'll go with the VP/VR and auto then, ha, ha just kidding.
    Hey I was only asking if anyone had seen or heard of the V6 Conversion so I'm thinking a modern
    M series engine would be a better option.
    The 7MGE and auto would someone with minimum auto electrics experience be able to wire that engine to the 75 Crown and would the original diff be able to handle the extra HP.
    Last edited by 1975ToyotaCrown; 22-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.