Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2JZ damaged, other options?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default 2JZ damaged, other options?

Hi all,
    I have a 2JZ in my VK commodore project car. The engine has unknown history and had so much sludge in it I had to pull it down to clean it up. Everything cleaned up ok but the bores have been badly etched by the rings sitting in one position for years, end result is it needs a rebore, new pistons and basically a full rebuild.

The problem here is that I can't justify spending big money on the engine when I only really need a std 2JZ to make the power I want. I have a wife, baby and mortgage so I need to explore other options to get the car back on track.

So, my options are -

Borrow a 1JZ off my brother and bolt the 2JZ head onto it( I have custom manifolding and dumps for twin subaru turbos already built).
    Is this doable? I know the bore size is the same and the head will obviously bolt on but is there any piston crown or compression differences that make this unfeasable. This would be a temporary measure so I can complete the car build and ultimately rebuild the 2J.

The other option I have is to get a 2JZGE complete and use the block from that. Is it head design, piston design or both that is changed from GE to GTE? A complete GE will cost me $900.

Apologies if any of this has been discussed before.

Here is a link to the project on PF if anyone is interested.
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67204229

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ damaged, other options?

Oil squirters in the GTE block whereas the GE's don't have them, definately something to think about if you are running high boost, there are also a few more, just can't remember....

check out www.supraforums.com.au for more info on the 2J aswell.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

2JZ-GE would be the best option IMO. Cylinder head is quite different but the block casting is nearly identical - the major difference being it lacks oil squirters for the pistons. Crank and rods are the same, pistons are interchangeable but designed for much higher compression. So you could put your GTE cylinder head and manifolds etc on a GE bottom end without too much drama - the engine would be pretty much the same except that you'd have 10:1 compression instead of 8.5:1.

You'd have to keep the boost relatively low and use high-octane fuel, but it will still work fine and will probably be ridiculously torquey. A GTE with stock twins spools up very fast, but with all that extra compression you'll be making boost at 1200rpm!

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    A GTE with stock twins spools up very fast, but with all that extra compression you'll be making boost at 1200rpm!
    But wouldn't that be fun though

Skids ahoy!

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Another line of thinking in trying to keep costs down, would be to move the GTE pistons into the GE short motor to reduce compression - having said that I have no idea of GTE and GE combustion chamber sizes, so thats homework for you to find out?!

Thanks for the info.
    Re GE block, GTE head -
    What would you consider low boost to be in this situation?
    Apart from the intake manifold the whole intake and exhaust system is handmade(see PF thread) and it will have an aftermarket ecu and knock indicator so I guess I could still make decent power out of it reliably.
    Norbie, I still have a PS pump for a 2J if you are still after one.

Most of the N/A T setups on the 2JZ-GE's I've seen with no internal work usually only run relatively low boost 8-10PSI.

I reckon with good tuning (ie aftermarket ECU) and water/methanol injection you could safely take it as far as 15psi. 8-10psi with stock management would still go plenty hard though.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

can you buy short motors? something like a rebuilt bottom end?

Did some sums on the rebuild, even with really good prices from the machine shop my work uses it will still cost $2k just to get the engine back to useable order. No forged pistons, just a std rebuild. I would rather buy a good 2nd hand engine than do this so I have decided to go with the GE engine. I need a head gasket so I though I would go with a thicker Cometic gasket to knock the comp down a little bit. Might get it down to 9.5 but haven't bothered doing the maths yet.

The turbos I am using are run at 11psi in there normal application(200hp 2.0 turbo) so if I can run them at that pressure I will be happy with the high comp. Realistically the car will prolly be fairly overpowered anyway so I really need to concentrate on getting it on the road at this stage. Going with the GE engine seems like the best way to go.

Thanks for the help on this, I will let you know how it works out.
    Here's a couple of pics of the turbo setup.

Just also remember that the intake plenum on the GTE is considerably different to the GE, GE has the throttle body ontop of the rocker cover with the intake piping continuing across to the exhaust manifold, not really the best design, not sure if it effect your turbo setup...here's a pic of my bay(GE), stock has similar piping layout....

Just reading your thread again seems like you are going to use the GTE head on a GE block? So maybe what I'm saying about piping is not really relevant, but I'll post the pic anyway

Yes I will be using the GTE head. Thanks for the pic anyway. Wanna buy some spares for your GE?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

how badly is it bore sure it carnt be fixed with a hone??

have you thorght about riping out the GE rods/pistons and replacing them with the GTE items run the GTE head and you got your basicly got your self a rebuilt GTE motor just need to replace the rod bearings and a set of rings if the GE engine is in good nick

personally i dont think much of oil squirters as i've seen and read about 600hp fiat 4 bangers runing no oil squirters afaik vince regoils little ute has no oil squirters and that engine has yet to give way constanly running low 8's isnt it?

It's been honed. It'll need at least 20 thou to remove the pitting.

The squirters are to cool the piston crown, it still has thrust side cooling from the rod as well. Cooling the crown becomes less important if you have high quality forged pistons.