Thread: Supra Mk3 MA70 7MGE (non turbo) - Blown Head Gasket

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Supra Mk3 MA70 7MGE (non turbo) - Blown Head Gasket

Supra Mk3 MA70 7MGE (non turbo) - Blown Head Gasket
    Hi everyone. I live in the Blue Mountains and have a MK3 Supra. Engine was fully overhauled for 10k due to a blown head gasket and the car overheating etc but 18 months later it's showing signs of another head or head gasket issue.

Long painful story as usual, but my question is who can you recommend around Western Sydney preferably that can take the car and sort it for me?

I was recommended one place which quoted 4k and did not seem to know much about the car.

Car was upgraded with bigger radiator and twin thermos etc which I think only masked the problem up. Doesn't get hot, but uses about 100ml of water per 100km of driving.

All original, standard aside form the radiator and fans - literally 100% aside from that and only 165km on the clock.

Thank you.

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Default Re: Supra Mk3 MA70 7MGE (non turbo) - Blown Head Gasket

Either;
    The block surface has too much corrosion and needed to be machined along with the head.
    The aluminium in the head has annealed and become soft.
    Poor quality gasket used.
    And/or
    Head bolts were not retorqued after 1000km.

Can't help with anyone in Sydney to fix it sorry. Good luck!
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Supra Mk3 MA70 7MGE (non turbo) - Blown Head Gasket

Thank you. I would have thought I'd get flooded with replies on here so appreciate yours. No wonder people like me end up going to crap places paying 10k an getting dud. It's been hard to get advice which is disappointing. Agree on all points, but based on my experience also possible that a lousy job was done on it. I suspect a small crack in the head and i think it's been there for a long time. **You are correct, head bolts were not retorqued as they were convinced it didn't need to be done. Plus I reckon they did it to the original OEM specs which I believe are light on. I got it done recently and several bolts were not tight at all. Very disappointing. Since we re-torqued it I have some other issues as well. Once it warms up I have this horrible sound like an old kettle boiling. High pitched scream of a noise. It's in to try find what that is today. Cheers.