Thread: 4AGE 20V Silvertop

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4AGE 20V Silvertop

Hope some one can shed some light.
    Not sure if this is the correct section but, I have a silvertop with a black top ECU, it was running ok with none brand coils, one burned so I got Denso 673-1306, after installing them the car would not start and if it does wont stay on, I got some other brand ICO32130 and it does the same thing, not sure what is going on. Hope someone can help.
    Thank you.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGE 20V Silvertop

Without knowing the full details of your ignition setup I can only take a guess.

First possibility is that you have bought the wrong type of COP. There are 2-wire type (12V trigger pulse and ground); 3-wire type (12V power, ground and 5V trigger pulse); and 4-wire type (12V power, ground, 5V trigger pulse and 5V IGF ignition feedback pulse). You need to make sure you got the same type of coil as your original ignition setup used.

If the new coils have the same number of wires as the originals, check that the pinouts are the same i.e. that the function of the wires in the clip match the function of the pins on the COP. If you get 12V and 5 V inputs mixed up it won't work. Good luck

Cheers... jondee86

The coils are 4 wire, I tested them in and the have the same wires connection, they both fire with the same connection when I tested them in a table, but not in the car.
    Cheers...

There is a lot of good information here... https://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-...ck-info-guide/
    The Denso coils look to be the 1NZ/2NZ type, so they should work if you have them wired correctly.
    What coils were on the engine before you burned one out ??

Cheers... jondee86

Quote Originally Posted by jondee86 View Post
    There is a lot of good information here... https://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-...ck-info-guide/
    The Denso coils look to be the 1NZ/2NZ type, so they should work if you have them wired correctly.
    What coils were on the engine before you burned one out ??

Cheers... jondee86
    Hello
    I don't remember, and they don't have any markings.

If it worked before it should work now unless something is broken or you have a bad connection.
    1. ECU gets cam position signal from the sensors in the distributor base. Check the wire.
    2. All coils get 12V when the key is in the RUN position.
    3. All coils need a good ground connection to head or block. Check grounds.
    4. All coils get IGt signal from ECU. Check wires.
    5. ECU gets IGf signal from coils. One coil is all it needs but four should work.

If the engine fires even just for a second then dies, check that the IGf 5V pulse is getting
    to the ECU. If no pulse then the ECU will stop sending the IGt signal and the engine dies.

Cheers... jondee86

Thank you.
    The signals seems ok. The strange thing is that even if I connect just one the car runs very rough, if i disconnected it runs but in 3 cylinders.

If the engine starts and continues to run, even if roughly or on only three cylinders, then the ECU is getting an IGf signal.

Not sure what you mean by "if i disconnected it runs but in 3 cylinders." ?? Do you mean you disconnected the IGf signal wire to the ECU and it still ran ???

If three cylinders are firing and one not firing, pull the spark plug from the bad cylinder and check to see if it is carbon fouled or totally wet with fuel.

Cheers... jondee86

Quote Originally Posted by jondee86 View Post
    If the engine starts and continues to run, even if roughly or on only three cylinders, then the ECU is getting an IGf signal.

Not sure what you mean by "if i disconnected it runs but in 3 cylinders." ?? Do you mean you disconnected the IGf signal wire to the ECU and it still ran ???

If three cylinders are firing and one not firing, pull the spark plug from the bad cylinder and check to see if it is carbon fouled or totally wet with fuel.

Cheers... jondee86
    I disconnect the cop from the power. I see bit of carbon on all cylinders. What I don't get is, why a cheap cop works and a name brand don't, the wire connections is the same.

Coil won't do anything if you disconnect it from the 12V supply. When you get the engine to run do you try and raise the rpm by opening the throttle ? If you have been cranking on it for a while, it will need a bit of a rev up to burn out some of the fuel that will have been dumped in the cylinders. Have you got a machined plate for mounting the COP's or are they just jammed down the plug tubes until they get stuck ? Apparently some COP's need to be "thinned down" a bit before they sit on the plugs properly.

I'm out of ideas.... maybe you can find someone around where you live who has done the conversion and can help you out ?

Cheers... jondee86

Thanks for your input.
    Cheers