Thread: Silvertop overheating

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Silvertop overheating

Hi, my silvertop is overheating and feels kind slow, i bought a fxgt that was kinda slow then blew a headgasket not long after, i changed the headgasket and it sat in the back yard for a couple months, iv just taken it for a drive and it now overheats and blows heaps of steam out of the overflow bottle, the temp dial takes a long time to get to temp and sometimes cuts out, the radiator needs filling after very session, there is no smoke/ steam out the exhaust and no leaks, any help? thanks

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Silvertop overheating

Quote Originally Posted by Psych7AGE View Post
    Hi, my silvertop is overheating and feels kind slow, i bought a fxgt that was kinda slow then blew a headgasket not long after, i changed the headgasket and it sat in the back yard for a couple months, iv just taken it for a drive and it now overheats and blows heaps of steam out of the overflow bottle, the temp dial takes a long time to get to temp and sometimes cuts out, the radiator needs filling after very session, there is no smoke/ steam out the exhaust and no leaks, any help? thanks
    There is a good chance that the head is warped enough that the new head gasket will not seal. Check the oil. If it looks milky you will probably have to get the head resurfaced. Used a straight edge across the head surface. If it more then a .003" gap it will need machining. Also do a complete inspection of the block and deck surface. Davew7