Thread: First 5sgte build... whats the crack with these cheapo lookin forged rods

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default First 5sgte build... whats the crack with these cheapo lookin forged rods

Hey all,

Always lurkin and learnin from you guys but not posted in a while... Need your thoughts and wisdom pls as usual : )

Sooooooo my rev 2 block/rev 3 3sgte builds kickin a55 and done 900 miles with so far no issues...

Mate of mine hits me up and says he knows a dude with an early 98 R reg low milage 2.2 Camry full engine for sale... Pubs are all closed in the UK n lockdowns sending me crackers so i couldnt resist the project and some more faffing over the spring : )

Engines unfortunatly not got the l/H square core plug to indicate its a mega strong super block but ive bin reading its got a higher nickle content and stronger walls than my Rev 2 block... also runnin a 3076R so im thinkin 2.2L upgrade... quicker spool... stronger block... Spare head sittin round to mock up... got the old lump as a spare... 730 UK quid whats not to like??? : )

My question/s...

So i know i cant use my 3sgte Ross 86.5 pistons cos of the obvious bore/deck diffrences... BUT i can use my Eagle rods and just get the bigends on the 5sfe crank ground down from 52 to 50mm (believe thats right but im prob wrong lol).... Thumbs up...

Called the only open machine shop within a light year of my house in deepest darkest Yorkshire and they cant grind em???

Read that you can buy Pauter rods specific for building 5sgtes at 900 quid but dont wanna get divorced this yr.. so i see these cheapo rods on fleabay. Reviews look good. Not as weak as pi55 as 5sfe stock rods and means i dont have to ar5e about trying to find a machine shop.

Can i use these with a 5sfe block/crank/Stroker pistons/Rev 3 3sgte head.

I understand i may have to grind off webbing the back of the 5fse block to clear the st205 transfor box and match up coolant passages etc n the rest but could i use the budget rods as opposed to machining the 5S crank to use the old Eagles OR buy super expensive Pauters...

Done 6 twelve hour nightshifts and my brains fried so pls dont blaze me for being thick as pig sh$t hahahaha.

Whats the catch? Im pretty sure im missing something obvious but like i say im fried and this dumba55 questions bugging me.

3:g:uWIAAOSwb7BfYIW1https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4340-Connecting-Rods-for-Toyota-Camry-MR2-Celica-GT-SX-5SFE-5S-FE-2-2L-800HP/363177622883?hash=item548f12bd6

I know thse are the wrong year (pre 98) would they still fit?

Ifso by some miracle would ya touch em?

One last clown question...

Wanted to overbore the block to 88mm/2.3l if it turned out to be the "stronger square waterpump edged" block but its not. Will it significanly weaken it if i did? Im thinkin stay at 2.2l/87mm for added strength?

Really appreciate you all reading this and bearing with my fool questions. Please feel free to correct me on all this shizzle.

Thanks all

Chris

Oh btw this is the engine i got (cant upload pics still for some reason) did i do good or have i f$cked up royally. Checked with a dude in the know n he says its good for 700 ish wheel hp still...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-5s...72.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by Blackcountryboy; 29-11-2020 at 01:46 AM.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: First 5sgte build... whats the crack with these cheapo lookin forged rods

Done some more googling n it appears grinding the 5s cranks my only option...