Thread: New camshaft protective coating and install and scuff marks

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default New camshaft protective coating and install and scuff marks

Engine: Blacktop 20v 4age
    Camshaft: Tomei Poncam - "Coating the surface of camshaft with manganese phosphate in order to protect from damage even when the camshaft has not lubricated yet. This has done by steeping press process that produces 0.5mm to 15 micromillimeter thin of manganese phosphate coating on its surface to prevent from direct contact with other metal parts while realizing smooth operation."

I'm attempting to install new camshafts (first time install). Been following the manual and all has been going well. I didn't use any lube just oiled the galleries and bearings etc as that's what the manual had specified.

I had rotated the assembly (crank + belt on pulleys) to test for clearance of lobes. As I was rotating a few times, I started to hear a squeal noise so backed off and removed the camshafts. I noticed the protective coating hard started to wear off at the bearing caps and at lobe contact points.

Is this normal that layer is going to be wear off as part of breaking or a result of not using proper assembly lube and I fudge it up?

When I removed the camshaft there was oil over the cambearings still. I can't feel any notches or scoring as such but it certainly looks like the coating has started to wear off.

I brought assembly lube for round 2 just in case as I dont know what to expect.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: New camshaft protective coating and install and scuff marks

Quote Originally Posted by thanhngo View Post
    ...produces 0.5mm to 15 micromillimeter...
    1/2 mm!!!
    There's hardly any spec in the entire car except panel fit & ground clearance that large.
    ////
    It's going to 'scuff' off on the buckets & caps. I know the claims, but I think its more ease of packing & shipping & corrosion control than any mechanical benefit to you.
    I hate that shit.
    I have absolutely no idea about what could possibly squeal, being loose enough to move but tight enough for friction & vibration & noise. Sorry.
    Good luck.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Default Re: New camshaft protective coating and install and scuff marks

What he ^^^^ said. Probably 5-10 microns which is not enough to change the size of anything important. If you have built a new engine and the oil filter and galleries are dry, you need to turn the engine over by hand (or on the starter with the plugs out and injectors disabled) until you see oil appearing at the cams. You should use assembly lube on the journals and lobes when placing the cams, and I like to squirt a bit of engine oil over the cams and buckets just because

The idea is to avoid any dry running of the cams before the oil pump builds pressure and gets oil to the cams. The phosphate coating provides an extra layer of protection but does not replace pre-lubrication before startup.

Looking at your picture I can see what appear to be "chatter" marks on the journal. This could have been making the sound you heard if there was no oil or assembly lube on the rubbing surfaces. No harm done as those marks will disappear when the engine has run for a few minutes.

Cheers... jondee86