Thread: Wiring Harness Question - TE/KE 21/27

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Wiring Harness Question - TE/KE 21/27

73 Corolla; TE21 -- This T50 tranny won't seem to activate the reverse light switch; with a brand new switch, putting it into reverse won't close the switch. Whoever did the restoration work on this consequently just did away with this part of the harness at the transmission. So I'm gonna have to put the reverse lights on a switch/relay.

Anyone know the route taken by the rear lighting harness? I know it heads from the trunk into the passenger compartment over the rear wheel well on the right side of the car (US - passenger's side; AUS driver's side). Trying to not take half the interior apart - if I can locate it where it gets to the firewall that'll help me. Red wire/blue stripe powers up the reverse lights - wanna use a switch/relay to power that wire up under the dash somewhere.
    '16 Subaru Crosstrek; '17 Mazda3 Hatch; '82 Volvo 242 w/LS3 V8 power; '73 TE21 w/3TC power

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Wiring Harness Question - TE/KE 21/27

Thx! Looks like I have a date with the right/front kick panel.

For anyone else that might find this helpful in the future -- the rear lighting harness doesn't run along the interior side of rocker panel as I interpreted the diagrams in the manual. Above the fuel tank on the passenger side (US) there's a plug where the trunk harness is converted to a "flat", black harness. This runs down the rear seat back and under the carpet to the firewall -- US passenger side coming up the firewall right between your feet if you're sitting in the front seat. Here's a picture of where it leaves the rear seat area headed to the front.

In the trunk the backup lights are fed by a red/blue-stripe wire. At the fuse box, the back up light circuit is a blue wire with a red stripe. I'll be connecting those two wires through a toggle.
    '16 Subaru Crosstrek; '17 Mazda3 Hatch; '82 Volvo 242 w/LS3 V8 power; '73 TE21 w/3TC power

Success.