Thread: 1st gen celica seatbelts.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default 1st gen celica seatbelts.

Hi folks

Can anyone provide info/pics of aftermarket seatbelts for gen 1's they have used successfully?

I had purchased some belts labelled "TA23/RA23/RA28" last year. They are completely not right (mainly the lack of the short tether strap). I dropped in to the manufacturer on my way back from classic japan in Melbourne back in December. They've taken measurements etc from my car and we agree that they do not fit. The engineer who looked at the car considers the short tether strap at shoulder height a good solution, but this is not part of the kit as it currently stands (I'm not sure what they based their original offering on

The manufacturer has kindly offered me two solutions. The first is the easiest for me but perhaps not the optimal solution. They can make up front belts that do not have the short tether (but which will be ADR compliant). The second seems to be the best solution - if five people are interested in a pre-order, they will make up and have certified a full replacement belt setup which includes the tether. They've already taken measurements and photos etc from my car. Message me if this is something you'd like to commit to.

There are some old threads referencing "klippan"but these seem to be no longer in Australia.

Surely I am not the first to run into this issue or do I have some kind of not regular seat belt setup? (I don't think so, I've seen a lot of others with the same setup, but well...)

Forum Member

Default Re: 1st gen celica seatbelts.

I recently had the seat belt in my GX51 Cresta redone. I took off my belt and took it to them and they replaced the entire belt and retensioned the winding mechanism. The place is in Perth but you can send your stuff there, not sure if theres similar in NSW. https://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1st gen celica seatbelts.

Thanks Alpha kid. I'll do that.