Thread: Mx83 Cressida with a Crown 1JZGTE VVTi ETCS-i STUCK IN LIMP MODE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Unhappy Mx83 Cressida with a Crown 1JZGTE VVTi ETCS-i STUCK IN LIMP MODE

So the problem: the engine seems to idle high and doesn't like any sort of throttle but seems to be able maintain an rpm. It doesn't like coming back to idle or moving from it. The throttle body has been placed into a "limp mode" by the ecu and only the last 20% or so of the throttle is usable because of a mechanical override.

I've replaced: MAF, TPS, accelerator position sensor.

I've done: checked for continuity for the maf, TPS, accelerator position sensor, etcsi plug, back to the plugs on the ecu. I did have an engine flash code for the TPS as the wire for the VTA pin seemed to be split somewhere but that went away when I wired it up.

The plug for the maf was cut off when I got the engine and we originally wired it up wrong and put 12V to the THA pin which is the air temperature sensor and that fried itself but we replaced the maf and have wired correctly now so maybe it has damaged the ecu as that pin was only supposed to be getting 5V?

I've checked ecu for leaking capacitors and any kind of corrosion, the circuit board all looks really clean.

The +BM pin for the etcsi is powered and everything is wired up.

These are the flash codes I'm getting:

46, Pressure accumulator pressure control solenoid
    62, Solenoid No. 1
    63, Solenoid No. 2
    65, ?
    68, Torque converter clutch control solenoid
    76, Front left wheel speed sensor
    77, Rear right wheel speed sensor
    78, Rear left wheel speed sensor/Fuel pump control signal?
    89, Drive ETCS

Pinouts I'm using: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wz...iwUfWS8POxeJzr
    http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...ngine%20Wiring

Vid of the car running:
    Last edited by Knollzy; 12-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: Mx83 Cressida with a Crown 1JZGTE VVTi ETCS-i STUCK IN LIMP MODE

Are the JZX110 pinouts the same as the Crown?
    Jealousy is a curse

Quote Originally Posted by madmont View Post
    Are the JZX110 pinouts the same as the Crown?
    Yeah they're the same, only thing I've noticed is a few wire colours being different.

My guess would have been no power to pin 7 on the A47 plug but you say you have already powered that one
    Last edited by madmont; 13-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Jealousy is a curse

My guess would have been no power to pin 7 on the A47 plug but you say you have already powered that one
    Yeah it's got a few people puzzled. I've got another etcsi throttle body coming that I'll swap over and see if that changes anything and if it doesn't, I think I'll send the ecu away somewhere to get tested and if it's not that I'll probably just light the thing on fire.

I made mine mechanical and do not rely on the ecu to open the throttle when I press the accelerator
    Jealousy is a curse

I made mine mechanical and do not rely on the ecu to open the throttle when I press the accelerator
    Yeah I've got gears that make it a fully mechanical tb which bypass the limp mode part but it still runs really shitty. I had the aftermarket gears in when I first started the car and it took me awhile to figure out that the car was actually in limp mode until I put the stock gears back in.
    Last edited by Knollzy; 18-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Could my intake setup be causing problems with the MAF?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Did you solve your issue? Just confirming, the links you posted are for 2JZGTE pinouts and wiring, not 1JZGTE vvti pinouts so if you have used this as a pinout references, they are completely different!

You want 1JZGTE vvti pinouts here: https://jzx100.com/forum/topic/6627-...inside/page/2/
    90 MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZGTE VVTi, A340LE, PWR FMIC, driven everyday SOLD
    01 Y61 GU 'glued back together' ZD30 grenade, 5 inch lift, ARB front and rear air lockers, Taipan XP exhaust, Safari Dtronic
    85 S3 RX7 - Dual Axial Flux motors & controllers, traction and stability programs, 1Farad cap. & LiPo batt, 60km range, 0-100 km 3.2 secs & 200 km/h top speed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nilezy View Post
    Did you solve your issue? Just confirming, the links you posted are for 2JZGTE pinouts and wiring, not 1JZGTE vvti pinouts so if you have used this as a pinout references, they are completely different!

You want 1JZGTE vvti pinouts here: https://jzx100.com/forum/topic/6627-...inside/page/2/
    Those 2jz pinouts are actually the same for the JZS171 and JZX110 1jz, and yeah I did! Turned out to be the bloody j pipe delete. Put it on and it ran sweet, that is until I hit "boost cut" from too much air maxing out the maf sensor voltage. Half fixed that with a fcd but would run too lean at higher rpm for my liking (12+ AFR). I'm now in the process of ditching the stock ecu and installing a haltech elite 2000.

jzx110 ecu pinout

crown ecu-pinout

aristo ecu-pinout