Thread: 2tg help required

Too old to be a Grease Monkey

Default 2tg help required

Hi,
    I am in the process of building a 2tg engine. Have a 2t block and maybe having issues with the dummy cam.
    Should it be really tight. I can still turn it with a spanner on the set bolt but it is tough.
    Is this ok or something amiss? Not sure it is going to be that easy to get out now that it is in there?

Also I have only just read that I have to rotate the unused bearings on the old pushrod cam. Any neat ways to do that that people know? or do I have to remove and reinstall? Do I just lose oil pressure if I dont do this step?

Cheers
    Nathan

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Thumbs up Re: 2tg help required

The bearing for that engine come in different sizes for that dummy cam. If your builder changed them out, question the measured thickness of the ones installed... Also you will have to turn the cam bearing to cover the opening of that former camshaft lubrication discharge port since the dummy cam requires fewer bearings, and the ones towards the rear will have to be rotated to close off those areas or you will have a loss of oil pressure... But you already knew that!!

Default Re: 2tg help required

Ok so when I have a closer look the outer bearing is in crooked.
    Options are to remove and go get another one and get that put in straight or to try to straighten the bearing.

I was thinking that I could use an old bearing as a punch and tap that until it goes straight. Worst case I go back to idea 1 which was replace it?

I have read about shaving bearings too. Seems to be something that is done a bit by people building engines. This involves cutting a diagonal groove in another cam and using it to skim the bearing in situ.
    Sounds feasible so if anyone has an old 2tg dummy cam I can butcher in Adelaide (preferably) I will give that a go and leave the bearing crooked. If you have one pipe up quickly though because I want to be working on this sooner rather than later? maybe wed night?

As for rotating bearings? Any ideas? can I punch them around at all with a long centre punch?
    Cheers

Cam bearing installation and removal tool usually works the best, sorry to say, and will also aid in the rotation to close off those other bearing openings.

Please note the dummy cam uses two bearing and the oil passages that do not flow up to the other three discharge lubrication points at the back side of the camshaft area that would be required if a standard 2TB camshaft was installed for that application.
    Last edited by 73GTV; 30-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks for the reply
    Just to clarify, cam bearings have to be taken out in order correct? meaning I need to remove #1 and #2 to get to the others? I cant just pop #4 out right because of the access for the tool?

Now this may happen anyway if I can't easily align #1......