Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 5VEU Hemi

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default Re: 5VEU Hemi

Quote Originally Posted by edbods View Post
    Must also be damn nice to know someone in japan to go hunting for old stuff like this too.
    For you.... and others...... https://jessestreeter.com/yahoo-auct...uying-service/
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Wow, thanks! Not sure why I only got notified of your reply just now, must be my settings.
    I've looked at buyee and other similar proxies but this one seems to be the most trouble-free, will give them a shot.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post

Right now we are working on a valve spring[s] upgrade. Something that will allow us to utilize the new rpm potential, and yet not destroy the camshaft do to excess spring pressures. Here is what we have measured so far..... the numbers on the bottom are the inner spring pressures.

more to come......
    So, I need to make a small correction. .408" is not the valve lift of the new cam, the "new" cam is closer to .440" valve lift lift (original valve lift was .350"). Seat pressure doesn't change, just the pressure on the nose. My engine builder recommended about 100# seat pressures and about 220#s on the nose.

I began my search with SBI and their spring info charts: http://www.sbi-e-catalog.com/Specification.aspx (pulldown menu - select valve springs) we couldn't find the perfect fit..... close but wound* the incorrect way.

* - as my engine/head experience is almost entirely utilizing single springs.... I didn't know that dual springs are wound opposite directions (inner versus outer) This allows the springs to bypass each other - even if there is a slight interference fit - if they were wond in the same direction one spring could interfere with the other.

After spending a few hours looking, and comparing, and not finding what I needed I called PAC Racing - they make valve springs for MANY different application. I sent them the specs I needed, and they got back in touch with me.... they DID have a spring that fit my requiremeents, the only problem was it was a proprietary inner spring for AFR. Matt, the PAC Spring rep, asked AFR if they would sell me 16, AFR agreed......

seat pressure: 50#, pressure @ .440" lift: 85#, coil bind @ .585" lift.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!