Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 5VEU Hemi

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 5VEU Hemi

Dan
    That sounds like a lot of time and money for the gaskets. Couldn't you just use RTV for the cover plate and water pump? DaveW7

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osmerjosmer View Post
    My head gaskets completely fell apart on removal what do you think the best way to get cometic to make some would be? Did they have a scan on file for yours still?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Call them... and ask either Jason, or Drew. Give them the part#s from above....

Quote Originally Posted by davew7 View Post
    Dan
    That sounds like a lot of time and money for the gaskets. Couldn't you just use RTV for the cover plate and water pump? DaveW7
    I might have been able to use either RTV, or an anaerobic sealer... but I wanted a gasket, and besides having gone to all the effort for the head gaskets... it made sense to me to now have a full set of gaskets now available.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

So... with the timing cover and water pump gaskets now in hand... that means we have nearly all the gaskets we'll need (both head gaskets, all exhaust gaskets, both intake gaskets, and now timing cover and water pump. Still working on valve seals.........

.... and pistons.... While there are still one or two unknowns (possible pin offset?) the dome volume has been settled @ 21cc, to provide a static CR of 10.3:1

more to come.......

A few more specifications.... (apologies in advance - specs are in 'Merican)

Deck height on stock piston: 0

comp height:1.227"

pin diameter: .8662(22mm)

Big end of rod: 2.1654(55mm)

rod length(center to center): 6.098" (stroke 84mm / 3.307")

Rod to stroke: 1.84

I found a host for the 5V-EU... a 1972 Toyota Corona Mark II hardtop aka MX22. The original 105hp, 115#/ft 2M engine weight is 380 pounds, if you remember the 5V was 370 (377 with the engine stand cradle mounted). So the mass weight is about the same, but since the 5V is more compact lengthwise, the center of mass will be slightly further back - less in front of the front wheels.

The steering box will need to be replaced with rack and pinion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Awesome choice. You're planning on using the century automatic transmission correct? I'm in the middle of adapting it to my w50 transmission that came in my celica.

Quote Originally Posted by osmerjosmer View Post
    Awesome choice. You're planning on using the century automatic transmission correct? I'm in the middle of adapting it to my w50 transmission that came in my celica.

I'm planning on having the tunnel ready for either....

Yes, either... As I already posted I did pick up a Century A340E.....

but I've also found a swap that uses the A340E bell, and adapts that too an AR5 (American R154)

The Mark is/was originally a stick shift car, so while swapping it to auto may be later... for now I'm planning on running the AR5

Typically when you order new pistons, you plan for an overbore...

The cylinder liners are in very good condition, with no ridge at all, and only the very top of the bores no longer showing hone marks.... but the liners are likely a few ten thousandths different... so the intention at the shop now is to re-hone, and set all bores to within one ten thousandth (.0001"). With that final figure, I'll pass that along to Traum pistons so we can have the pistons made to the bores, instead of the other way around....

This was done about a week back... the results were all the liners were nominally under 87mm, so all the liners will be honed to 87.0008mm, or 3.4252"

and a bit more... note a small "squish" band around the entire piston... also note the valve reliefs are symmetrical, and yet the valves in the head are not....

Those domes are pretty shallow... estimated to be 13cc...

Quote Originally Posted by OST
    also note the valve reliefs are symmetrical, and yet the valves in the head are not....
    This has everything to do with overall piston balance... if the pistons were to only have the intake relief, they would be much tougher to balance, BUT they would also be very expensive, as the engine would need 4 sets of 2 pistons. This is because the wrist pin is offset - you can see this in the side view of the piston. My new pistons will have a dome of 21cc, and the valve reliefs will be .060" deeper....

more to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy
    Those domes are pretty shallow... estimated to be 13cc...
    Actually... they were 10cc, so static CR on the 5V is(was) under 9:1....

Thank you Traum Piston - With their help, this is what my 5V will be running..... instead of 10cc, this piston has a 21cc dome

10.30-10.35:1, with slightly deeper (.060") valve pockets. Because the piston has an offset wrist pin, essentially that is 2 sets of 4.

more to come.....

Spoke to the cam grinder this morning.. I have the specs on the stock 5V-EU cam.........

intake overall duration 240 ([email protected]"), and exhaust 247([email protected]") lobe lift is .240", and as I said before 110 centers.

Their here......

more to come....

Need some assistance......

in another forum a Russian member spoke of a 1SU(2SU) Toyota engine - (predecessor to the 3S?) and its flywheel(SX70 chassis code, possibly SX60, and ST141 as well).... It seems to be VERY close in size to the 5V-EU flexplate.

Part number: 13405-69036, possibly also 13405-63010

As there isn't one of these in the USA..... is there someone here who can help me confirm??? And is there one of these flywheels available in "your" area???

EDIT - The 2S engine did make it to the USA... in the 83-86 Camry. It is also 6 bolt... and I've confirmed the ring gear is 11.588"(Rock auto), I measure the 5V @ 11.6". the part number is different, but I have one coming from a salvage yard to see how close it actually is... $70 gamble

Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 28-05-2020 at 06:29 AM.

"New" camshaft specs have been decided.... 268 advertised, [email protected]" with a cam lift of .303" valve lift should be about .435"

Additionally... for my engine, I'll NOT be using over the counter motor oil... I'll be using a motor oil high in zinc and phosphorus - it uses a flat tappet cam, and we are making it more aggressive, so it'll need all the additive help it can get.

Alright... the 2S flywheel will "fit" the 5V crankshaft.... YES

The center hole fits the crank snout, and the bolt spacing is correct. What is still unknown is if we will need a step/shoulder type bolt or not, and what the back spacing is - we'll need the crank in the block, and the starter fitted to verify back spacing.

more to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post
    I'm planning on having the tunnel ready for either....

Yes, either... As I already posted I did pick up a Century A340E.....

but I've also found a swap that uses the A340E bell, and adapts that too an AR5 (American R154)

The Mark is/was originally a stick shift car, so while swapping it to auto may be later... for now I'm planning on running the AR5

Similar lengths...

more to come.......