Thread: Dodgy safebrake braided brake lines for st205 gt4 celica

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Dodgy safebrake braided brake lines for st205 gt4 celica

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this so here I am.

Beware of a company trading on eBay selling braided brake lines - SAFEBRAKE.

I bought a set for my ST205 GT4 Celica and they aren't even close to fitting.

The front hoses are too long and as a result, foul on the suspension when on full steering lock - both left and right.

If you already have these on your car, I highly recommend that you remove them ASAP because they are unsafe.

Genuine new Toyota hoses are available from www.amayama.com.

Stay safe!

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Default Re: Dodgy safebrake braided brake lines for st205 gt4 celica

Buy HEL Braided hoses, zero issues with all the cars I've fitted them to.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I just looked up their details and they claim to have a five year warranty so I hope you received a refund.

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Gota get adr brake lines.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixeruperer View Post
    Gota get adr brake lines.
    no you don't, but they do have to be marked with a recognised international standard.

HEL or Goodridge would both be fine.

EDIT:

Copied direct from ADR 42
    15. BRAKE TUBING AND BRAKE HOSE

Flexible hydraulic brake hoses, air or vacuum brake tubing and air and vacuum hose, flexible and hydraulic power hose between the ‘Brake Power Unit 31/00’ or ‘Brake Power Unit 35/00’ and the master cylinder or its equivalent must conform to SAA, SAE, BS, JIS, DIN, ISO or ECE Standards, or FMVSS 106 Brake Hoses, specified for flexible brake hoses, air brake tubing or hose or vacuum brake tubing or hose or hydraulic power tubing or hose and be fitted to the vehicle as to prevent chafing, kinking or other mechanical damage under normal motion of the parts to which they are attached.
    Last edited by MR22ZZ; 10-12-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

yeh i use goodridge.

complies with adr 42.

so gota use adr complied lines.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Quote Originally Posted by petergoudie View Post
    I just looked up their details and they claim to have a five year warranty so I hope you received a refund.
    They refused to provide me with a refund. Long story. NSW fair trading and also eBay were useless in helping.
    I'm worried that someone will be injured or killed due to these hoses.
    The only thing I can do now is to get the word out to other ST205 owners.

I have tried HEL though they don't fit properly either due to not having any mounting brackets. The ST205 genuine hoses are quite complicated due to the Superstrut suspension

Give HEL Australia a call and explain your case and findings, I think they will more then likely resolve the problem and update the design.

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

I just got a set made up for my AE92 with SX/GTI brake setup via GSL Rallysport in QLD. BrakeQuip USA SAEJ1401 marked hoses with manufacturer label sleeves with ADR42 markings, they are double crimped and have the correct fittings as I was able to measure and confirm the hose section lengths and fitting types with GSL prior to ordering as they e-mailed the diagrams that are used by the technicians to manufacture the hoses. I was looking to buy a set of HEL, however I needed discs and pads as well and they were able to have a clutch line made up at the same time for an additional $30.
    "Welcome the dude who ain't the buyer of mugs"

Forum Member

Cool Re: Dodgy safebrake braided brake lines for st205 gt4 celica

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this so here I am.

Beware of a company trading on eBay selling braided brake lines - SAFEBRAKE.

I bought a set for my ST205 GT4 Celica and they aren't even close to fitting.

The front hoses are too long and as a result, foul on the suspension when on full steering lock - both left and right.

If you already have these on your car, I highly recommend that you remove them ASAP because they are unsafe.

Genuine new Toyota hoses are available from www.amayama.com.

Stay safe!
    I just checked the SAFEBRAKE eBay listing for Celica ST-205 which clearly stated that the kit isn't bolt-on type. It explains the owner need to modify the front hoses supplied universal bracket among others. See the link below;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18152143...EOISSA:AU:1123

Look like it is not a dodgy product after all, as according to eBay they sold 54 kits up to date. See below.

Fits CELICA GT-Four ST205 (3S-GTE) brake upgrade- SAFEBRAKE Performance Hoses
    Condition: Brand New
    5 available / 54 sold

I am just saying over 50 other ST205 owners are having good experience with this safebrake kit.

I saw one Ebay feedback from Japan who purchased the same kit, this guy stated the following; I am satisfied with the very high quality. Thank you. (Toyota Celica ST205-GT Four 3S-GTE - Itoh Japan, eBay)
    Another left feedback: Excellent Work! (Toyota Celica ST205 3S-GTE - Owner).

I cannot see what the fuss is about with this eBay seller as evidently, they got 100% positive feedback with an excellent reputation, in contrast to the claim here. So I guess it should be alright to install the kit despite what the writer of this thread stated otherwise. I am going for it.

You spelt your username wrong when you signed up. It should instead be SAFEBRAKE.

Forum Member

Cool Re: Dodgy safebrake braided brake lines for st205 gt4 celica

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    You spelt your username wrong when you signed up. It should instead be SAFEBRAKE.
    Don't want to know what was or is your problem. I'm not taking side here. You said it yourself "NSW fair trading and also eBay were useless in helping". Or was it you got no merit to be helped at all.
    I'm just saying this folks selling safebrake in eBay seems to be honest people and good eBayer. That is what I conclude from thousands of positive feedback they received from their customers. BTW they are 100% positive feedback with Top Rated seller rating. As a buyer of any product I'll put my trust on this type of reputation but not from some kind of bad mouthing from other people with certain motive.

Your thread has raised publicity on safebrake Celica ST205 brake hoses kit from around the world. I've got ST205 friends from UK whom asked me if it was okay to trust safebrake after they read your thread and I said the same thing, trust what their customers are saying through their feedback. They bought the kit and installed them as advertised and were happy with the performance.
    Just making a point here, that it is not good to be so harsh to a good reputation, hard working Aussie company with successful Aussie trademark such as SAFEBRAKE. I don't know and don't want to know what was your motive. For years, ST205 owners from around the world can see the nastiness among Aussie ST205 community. Which is NOT GOOD.

Considering this negative thread appears everywhere in google, safebrake is doing very well with over 50 kits sold for such low volume ST205 car. Not sure if they sells outside eBay as well. This only shows that Celica ST205 owners are generally smart people and don't easily influence by people out to destroy someone with misleading info.
    Last edited by ST205; 20-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.