Thread: Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility

Forum Member

Default Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster.
    I wanted to get your valuable insight on a project I'm looking to do.
    I found a manual mx83 with a blown 22r engine for sale (dirt cheap), and I have a mk3 Supra with a mint 7mge engine but auto tranny and factory LSD. So I was trying to figure out if I can somehow swap the 7m using some bits from the supra into the cressida to have a decent daily/fun car.
    P.S: I've read almost every post there is about 7m swaps and I know most will advise against it cause it's costly and not that efficient, but you need to know that I live in a country where old Japanese cars are extremely rare and it's almost impossible to import cars or parts from that era. So in order for me to have a good Japanese rwd car it's either this or nothing. Also, the supra is wrecked and can't be registered or I would've simply dropped a manual transmission in and drove it.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Forum Member

Default Re: Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility

Anyone? I'd really appreciate any feedback either positive or negative. At least I'll have a starting point

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility

Its all very possible, might be harder if you cant get some parts and alot of parts that get thrown away hear in AUS would make your life easy, like 7mge cressida wiring harness, engine mounts and other little odds and ends, but if you cant get that stuff it you will just have to modify what you have.

Things to think of,
    what sump is on the 7m in the supra? the x83 will need a front sump and im not sure what the a7 runs
    you will need a m-W bellhousing, i assume the rx80s still run a w/g gearbox (gearbox bolt pattern is the same)
    and really thats the hard stuff, easy stuff is make/buy engine mounts, wiring and fuel pump maybe, is the 22r fuel injected or carb?

Also do you have a account with toyodiy? lets you enter your vin numbers and search all the parts fitted to that car, then you can cross reference parts to see what else it fits, very handy for swaps to check what parts are the same