Thread: 3sgte gen 2 oil cooler base plate...shared with what other models???

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 3sgte gen 2 oil cooler base plate...shared with what other models???

Hey all,

Looking to pick all ya brains again....

Soooo finally sorted out my boost lag issue... while i was changing the manifold i decided to sort out the slow weep coming off the oil cooler assembly...

New gaskets, all cleaned up... 58ft ib torque... thought i was all good then heard this soul destroying noise as i tightened the last quarter turn... CRACKED 3/4 unf thread inside the base plate that bolts to the block that the oil cooler/filter sits on...... ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH does the misery EVER end? Lol

SOOOOOOOOO im emailing breakers on ebay for a replacement. Cant find one. Only one i can find the dude wants SILLY money for it.

Question to all you part number/die hard toyota fans... What other cars if any is this oil cooler base plate also found on?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3s...nHym96MNL_X2M:

Thinking a camry???

Am deleting the oil cooler altogether now using a 2 inch 3/4 stud. Just need a base plate off summat with the same block 4 hole mounting pattern or na mayby mod summat similar????...

Thanks again

Chris

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 3sgte gen 2 oil cooler base plate...shared with what other models???

According to the EPC, its unique to st185 celica and sw20 mr2. 58 ft lbs seems high, Id assume about 30 ft lbs.

Default Re: 3sgte gen 2 oil cooler base plate...shared with what other models???

Dude thanks for the info.

Know what ya mean, seemed pretty high 58ft (from memory on my 6th 12 hr night shift so not the smartest peanut in the turd right now hahaha). Had the specs in me hand outta BGB at the time n seemed silly for a cast aluminium thread.

Gonna bite the bullet, re mortgage the house n get the silly money one off fleabay.

Thanks again LRS

Chris

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

As an alternative, you could fit an aftermarket oil cooler setup, preferably with a thermostat, it will do a better job of limiting high oil temps than the stock heat exchanger does.

LRS you read my mind. Gonna use a spare diff cooler I got hanging round. Just need that plate to bolt it to the block. Still looking for one tho. There like hens teeth to find : )