Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4AFE into Toyota TA47 -80 RWD.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4AFE into Toyota TA47 -80 RWD.

That's cool, the wheels look great and suit the car. just with your vibration. when you pulled out the drive shaft to fit your engine and gearbox, did you spit the drive shaft in the middle, or take the whole shaft out? It possible to put the shaft back togther 180 degrees out which can cause a vibration. Its also possible to fit rear section back to front which is also very bad. Also check you center bearing doesnt have an tension on it, eg losen the 2 mounting bolts off and tighten them with the wheels on the ground.

Hmm when you say it, i had to change the fronter part of the transaxel to get the 22 spline for the gearbox. I installed it like the old one were placed but maybe got it 180 degrees wrong.
    Or maybe every axel is balanced on it's on and is not interchangeable without re-balancing?

Anyhow i have orded a new centerbearing so i will tear down it all to change it and will try to turn it 180 degrees and back and se if there is a difference.

What happen if the centerbearing have tension on it?

Also one Thoth is that the new engine mounts/engine setup it not perfectly centered/straight so the angels of in and out is a bit of. That would also make this symptom right?

Im not sure if what you mean, did you change the front yoke or the front half of the drive shaft? If the Yoke was replaced correctly its unlikely to cause a problem. If the shaft was replaced you will have to get the whole drive shaft balanced.

The centre bearing can be pushed on a weird angle if the mounts are tightened up when the suspension is hanging down.

I thought you might like to have a look at the way a 1uz engine has the distributor set up, just in case your 3d printer version gives you trouble.
    http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Sorry, english it not my native. But yeah i change the whole front section since the yokes are "non serviceble" on these axles.

(ignore the 50 cm haha)

So might be screw then and need to balance it all then. Will give it a try to rotate it once tough to se if it makes a difference.

Ok ok, good tip thanks!

Haha that was a clever way to do it, i have the AC beltpully free to might be a better solution to use it.

You can try to re-balance it like I did-
    Put a turbo boost clamp on the driveshaft, probably at the back of the front half, and screw it up. Drive it, and if the vibration is there then rotate it on the shaft 90deg. When you've done all 4 possible points, move it along the driveshaft. Some places will make the vibration worse, some will make it better. When you're fed up with reaching under the car with a screwdriver on the side of the road go and get it balanced professionally.
    I kept the idle-up valve in place, the default position should be 'shut', and I earthed it manually to open it through a dashboard switch. That meant I could add 100rpm to the idle when it was low, usually when cold in winter with headlights on.
    Nice conversion, well done!

Okey so the old centerbearing was toasted, the rubber was very weak, so now that is changed!

Now im tinkering around with the differential, the backlash when i have removed wheels and all dosn't seem that big after all. Drained the oil and checked for metalparts and got very few tiny tiny flakes?
    Checked threw the plughole and cant se anything "bigger on the ringgear or pinion!

When rotating it tough i hear some tiny kog noises, could be normal? havn't checkt anything similar before so dont know really since it's metal against metal.
    Still quite paranoid about the diff, is it worth it to take it out and inspect more? or could all the sounds come from the centerbearing?

And if that case, how do i get the shaft's out from the axle? :S

Thank on beforehand!

The diff may make a noise but it very unlikely to be the vibration you have, get the driveshaft balanced, as you can't mix and match driveshaft like you have without causing balance issues.