Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4AGZE Build/Rebuild

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4AGZE Build/Rebuild

Brilliant. Thankyou!

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic Big T's Avatar

A good auto store will be able source all of that. I get my pumps, bearings, rings from Autoone in castle hill. Make sure you get someone that knows how to use the part system properly though. Weird stuff is linked to engines like 20v headbolts suiting the 16v engine. They also list every ring width under the sun to suit all 4age pistons. You’ll need to measure your ringland width and order the appropriate ones. Early bigport are 1.5/1.5/3.0. Smallport are 1.2/1.5/3.0. Unsure what the gze uses as I’ve always just ordered them from toyota with the pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4agte finally completed. 234rwkw @ 8125rpm. Tis fun

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

acl race bearings are fine. im making 300kw on them and revving to 8500rpm. no worries at all

oil pump and other TGP stuff i bought from amayama

MRP for MRP stuff
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Sweet, thanks guys. I'd Better get ordering 😁😁.
    I'd assume the ringland width would be the same as the bigport measurement you provided as it is a bigport gze I have but of course I'll check that.

One last thing if anyone wouldn't mind weighing in.
    Just about to pop in an order through MRP. Most of the bits i have added to cart are 4AGE but are obviously suited to the 4agze too.
    Is there anything that i need to look out for that may be listed as 4age that wont fit my 4agze? For example i am not sure if the 4AGZE used the fwd or rwd water pump. In an mr2 i would assume the 4agze would have been set up like a fwd but i have no clue really so maybe i need to buy the fwd water pump for my rebuild.....

Things i have added to the cart are:
    4AGE Bearing Set
    4AGE Timing Belt Kit
    16v 4AGE Cam belt idler pulley
    4AGE Toyota Head Gasket
    4AGE Oil Pump
    4AGE Water Pump (FWD or RWD pump?)
    4AGZE High Boost Pulley Kit
    Coil on Packs*(1NZ or R25...)

Still chasing:
    4agze 16v Piston Rings
    SC12 Supercharger gaskets

Also if anyone knows where i can get piston rings or supercharger gaskets that would be awesome. Have tried the local shops down around Hobart and no-one seems to be able to point me in the right direction.

thanks!

Kolby

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

fwd water pump

toyota can do you the rings

s/c gaskets - probably toyota too
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I recommend the following:

- 3SGTE throttle body (You may have to swap the two outer wires on the ISCV, you'll find out on cold start, also power steering idle-up pipes will need to be plumbed back in somewhere, and maybe the coolant lines looped if present IIRC) a flap wheel on a drill will make short work of widening the down-pipe from the TB to blower, it necks in at the TB end so you'll end up with a pipe with parallel walls after modding it.
    - Making an adapter (2.5" IIRC) is a good idea for the air-in side of the TB, I have drawings that can be used as a pattern somewhere (I lasercut a flange and welded a pipe on top to attach a silicon 2.5-3" elbow on).
    - Plumb the ABV on the supercharger straight into the 'J-pipe' coming out of the supercharger to the intercooler with a brass fitting, removing all redundant valves and vac lines. This will snap the valve shut and hold it closed against leakage at higher boost, but allow it to open while off boost.
    - Install adjustable cam pulleys on bigport cams, adjust each cam pulley by a few degrees to reduce overlap between intake and exhaust (helps build more boost, widens and flattens the torque curve, but the other mods and higher boost will help counteract the flattening).
    - Install a proper cold air intake, piped to the front bar. I used a 3" pipe to an Apex'i filter behind the passenger headlight, with some flexible ducting through the hole there (where an intake resonator used to be) to the front bar.
    - Install decent headers (or at least mod a set of silvertop or even blacktop headers to fit, a basic mod to do), I prefer HKS 4-1 racing headers. I had mine ceramic coated too. (You might need to also wrap them to keep the gasses hot enough to allow the O2 sensor to heat up properly)
    - If you can find the bearings, replace the bearings and seals in the supercharger. Try to get an SC14 first if you can.
    - Waterpump underdrive pulley.
    - Stick a washer or two under the circlip in the oil pump pressure bypass valve to up the oil pressure slightly, and round off all the sharp edges too. If budget permits, a set of upgraded oil pump gears is nice too.
    - You can ceramic coat your pistons but they may already be coated from factory IIRC? Anti friction coating on the skirts is worthwhile if you are doing ceramic on the top anyway.
    - If retaining the top mount intercooler, huge improvements can be had if you install a water sprayer. I plumbed the rear window washer to two 'misting' aftermarket windscreen sprayers and could drop intake temps by 50 degrees in seconds on a hot day.
    - An AE101 crank pulley if you have an earlier engine will help boost too.

I did most of these mods on my GTZ AE101 (some were on my GT-Apex AE101) and I could pull around 11psi on a good day with stock supercharger pulley if I remember right.

Also, if you hit the dreaded knock sensor timing cut issue, I seem to remember a 7MGTE knock sensor will at least raise the RPM that this happens at. Replacing supercharger bearings will help a bit too, it's the source of the noise that fools the knock sensor I believe.
    You could also just pull the knock sensor out of the block, connect a ground wire and cable tie it away if you are feeling dangerous.

And always use premium fuel too (no ethanol unless you replace all the rubber parts!)

I probably forgot something, but that stuff will get you started.