Thread: 2ZZ Engine Conversion into a ZZE-122

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2ZZ Engine Conversion into a ZZE-122

I will have access to a 2ZZ Sportivo Engine conversion from a written off car that I want to fit into a ZZE-122 sedan we currently race , all I need to know can anyone tell me exactly what is required
    My car is Japanese build car so does the donor car have to be a jap built car to
    I believe the 5 speed gearbox bolts straight up and as we only really use 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear when racing do I really need a 6 speed box

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: 2ZZ Engine Conversion into a ZZE-122

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    I will have access to a 2ZZ Sportivo Engine conversion from a written off car that I want to fit into a ZZE-122 sedan we currently race , all I need to know can anyone tell me exactly what is required
    My car is Japanese build car so does the donor car have to be a jap built car to
    I believe the 5 speed gearbox bolts straight up and as we only really use 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear when racing do I really need a 6 speed box
    Even though you're only using 1-4 I'd still go with the 6-speed box, it's a short-ratio box and you want to keep the 2ZZ in lift as much as possible (which the 6-speed just barely does for the 1st/2nd shift, a 5-speed would be even worse).
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 2ZZ Engine Conversion into a ZZE-122

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Even though you're only using 1-4 I'd still go with the 6-speed box, it's a short-ratio box and you want to keep the 2ZZ in lift as much as possible (which the 6-speed just barely does for the 1st/2nd shift, a 5-speed would be even worse).
    Ok thanks for the heads up, I should have said we use 2nd and 3rd gear at Marulan, not quite hitting the 6,400 rev limiter in third and could possibly use 4th but no real advantage
    First is only used when taking off , from then on its 2nd and 3rd
    We be running at the next cheap car challenge at Marulan on the 28th and there should be a Sportivo running as well so we can see how they find things