Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

  1. #1
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Hello all,

    Does anyone know where to buy new the "valve spring keeper / retainers" for our 2TG?, I think they are the same for 18RG ... OEM n. parts 13741A (90913-03010) but it is discontinued. What other retainers alternative could I use.

    Thanks
    Last edited by CELICA1.6GT; 05-09-2018 at 07:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by CELICA1.6GT View Post
    Hello all,

    Does anyone know where to buy new the "valve spring keeper / retainers" for our 2TG?, I think they are the same for 18RG ... OEM n. parts 13741A (90913-03010) but it is discontinued. What other retainers alternative could I use.

    Thanks
    Try amayama.com https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/9091303010 They are $3.25AUD each plus post.
    Also try toyheadauto.com but Aus dollar to US dollar is not good at the moment.

  3. #3
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyTA22 View Post
    Try amayama.com https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/9091303010 They are $3.25AUD each plus post.
    Also try toyheadauto.com but Aus dollar to US dollar is not good at the moment.
    Thanks for the information / link ....but I think that I will have little luck with this item, this is item discontinued. The solution would be to find a "retainers alternative" for 2TG-18RG engine, that I yet not found

  4. #4
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Ok, Here are the valve locks that I have used to rebuild both 18RG and 2TG which I had sourced and purchased on Ebay:

    Listed under this title:
    8xPr.ITM/Repco#051-126,Toyota#90913-03005 Valve Keeper Sets 3KC,2TC,3RC,8RC,18RC

    eBay item number:
    382304662926

    Warning!!!

    However, they are not the same part number as OEM Valve Locks for the 2TG or 18RG. These were sourced from the Toyota 8-RC which fits and locks these valves in place with the 2TG and 18rg Valve spring retainers. Not OEM but should match your requirements for Valve Locks.
    Last edited by 73GTV; 09-09-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added warning after part numbers review!

  5. #5
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    Ok, Here are the valve locks that I have used to rebuild both 18RG and 2TG which I had sourced and purchased on Ebay:

    Listed under this title:
    8xPr.ITM/Repco#051-126,Toyota#90913-03005 Valve Keeper Sets 3KC,2TC,3RC,8RC,18RC

    eBay item number:
    382304662926

    Warning!!!

    However, they are not the same part number as OEM Valve Locks for the 2TG or 18RG. These were sourced from the Toyota 8-RC which fits and locks these valves in place with the 2TG and 18rg Valve spring retainers. Not OEM but should match your requirements for Valve Locks.

    Update: The years August 1978 - June 1981 the Valve lock part Number is "90280-05010" fits 2TGEU, 3TEU, 12TU, 13TU, 18GEU and 21RU. This was listed in the TA40, TA55 and RA40 parts manual. So if it makes you more comfortable to seek out the OEM part, please see if they are available.
    73GTV Thank for the information, ... but have you used them for 2TG and 18RG engines? ... and you did not have problems to install them and fit ?, I refer to the EBAY link.

    This part number "90280-05010" I have checked this no. part and not correspond to any valve lock (it's another completely different part), possibly you write incorrect part number, can you verify?

  6. #6
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Just a quick question, what number is cast on passenger side front of cylinder head e.g 11111-88260 etc. Should start with 11111-*****. This can give some idea of year/model of head if using standard valves. This is reason why, you can see there are variations from year to year. These are for a TE71 2TGEU.(Ignore price the parts list is old)
    13741A LOCK, VALVE SPRING RETAINER
    90913-03010 (03/1979 - 07/1982) 16 $2.57
    90913-03022 (08/1982 - 03/1983) 16 $1.98

  7. #7
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG





    I may have made an error earlier, please review the listed part numbers and sorry about the earlier post. Follow the other lead, it may pan out and I have not had any isses yet with the standard valve locks with the Duel Valve Springs.
    Last edited by 73GTV; 09-09-2018 at 11:31 AM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyTA22 View Post
    Just a quick question, what number is cast on passenger side front of cylinder head e.g 11111-88260 etc. Should start with 11111-*****. This can give some idea of year/model of head if using standard valves. This is reason why, you can see there are variations from year to year. These are for a TE71 2TGEU.(Ignore price the parts list is old)
    13741A LOCK, VALVE SPRING RETAINER
    90913-03010 (03/1979 - 07/1982) 16 $2.57
    90913-03022 (08/1982 - 03/1983) 16 $1.98
    The cylinder head is new, no have numbering (white) ... I deduce that it is a TE71 2TGEU, of the latest marketed by toyota "I believe".





    13741A LOCK, VALVE SPRING RETAINER
    90913-03010
    90913-03022

    These part numbers are discontinued, not exist. During last week I requested information (Amayama, JpCarparts and Megazip) and they tell me that this item is discontinued.
    it is difficult to find the retainers ....
    Last edited by CELICA1.6GT; 09-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by CELICA1.6GT View Post
    The cylinder head is new, no have numbering (white) ... I deduce that it is a TE71 2TGEU, of the latest marketed by toyota "I believe".





    13741A LOCK, VALVE SPRING RETAINER
    90913-03010
    90913-03022

    These part numbers are discontinued, not exist. During last week I requested information (Amayama, JpCarparts and Megazip) and they tell me that this item is discontinued.
    it is difficult to find the retainers ....
    Is that the box that this head came in? if so, what was the part number on the box?

  10. #10
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    Is that the box that this head came in? if so, what was the part number on the box?
    Check out this link in Faceboot (TOYOTA 2T-G FUN CLUB). In 2015 I asked for information of head, there are many pics. There is a photo with part number OEM Toyota head box.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4231...2881938435205/

  11. #11
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    73GTV,
    I have already ordered Ebay the retainers / lock that you recommended, I hope to have luck with them.
    https://www.ebay.es/itm/8xPr-ITM-Rep...53.m2749.l2649

  12. #12
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by CELICA1.6GT View Post
    Check out this link in Faceboot (TOYOTA 2T-G FUN CLUB). In 2015 I asked for information of head, there are many pics. There is a photo with part number OEM Toyota head box.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4231...2881938435205/

    I also recently purchase something without serial numbers, a new old stock 2T series Block.

    I believe that these items were end of production run items or when the change order came in for the change from 2T to 3T specs and that your head may have been at the end of it's production run from 2tg to 3tg.

  13. #13
    Normally Aspirated Domestic Engineer RT104GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    I have used 18 rg head we have ratted some shims from but rest is intact if u still need stuff pm or email me
    1968 RT40S Corona 1600S series II (restore in progress)
    1973 RT104-MQFG 012604 Corona GT JDM (Owned since 1976 242000 km)
    1989 ST185-BLMVZ-0007199 Celica GT4 JDM (unmolested classic 95000 km)
    2012 ZN-6 86GT (shed find 5000 km in 6 years)

  14. #14
    Junior Member Backyard Mechanic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by RT104GT View Post
    I have used 18 rg head we have ratted some shims from but rest is intact if u still need stuff pm or email me
    Contacts:

    web.... http://www.precisionshims.com.au
    email Christine....... [email protected]

    13.8 x 3.00mm flat shims were $9 aud

    If your shims are rattling, you did not measure with a micrometer to obtain your required clearances per the Green book. But if you are referring the the term "Rat-holed", I stand corrected...
    Last edited by 73GTV; 28-09-2018 at 11:26 PM.

  15. #15
    Forum Member 1st year Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canarias
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: WTB: Valve spring retainer 2TG/18RG

    Quote Originally Posted by RT104GT View Post
    I have used 18 rg head we have ratted some shims from but rest is intact if u still need stuff pm or email me
    Thanks RT104GT ... the "shims" are relatively easy to get, but I need are the keepers ... the locks that hold the valves inside the retainers, look at the drawing no. part:13741A (pointed with arrow pink)

    Last edited by CELICA1.6GT; 29-09-2018 at 05:27 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. HKS valve spring ( max lift )
    By 30psi 4agte in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
  2. 1G Valve spring specs?
    By cat007 in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM
  3. 2TG/3T GTE valve spring compressor?
    By TA22 GT in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
  4. valve spring upgrade
    By dale30 in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-08-2006, 07:57 AM
  5. Valve spring recommendations
    By nick.parker in forum Tech and Conversions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •