Thread: Jzz30 map sensor

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Jzz30 map sensor

I have bought a 1jz jzz30 non vvti engine that I am looking to transfer into my corona. After getting a auto electrician to have a look I require a map sensor as the one I have on this engine isn’t originally from this engine(causing me issues).
    I know this site has many forums for this, some saying you can use any 1jz map sensor or even use 2jz map sensors, but also found many forums saying this is all crap you can’t do that.

Can anyone help me with a correct answer? as most the forums 5 years old now. I’m struggling to find a place I can get the map sensor so hopefully there is another way?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Jzz30 map sensor

Part number should be: 89420-24040
    According to ToyoDIY, part number is exclusive to JZZ30, so not the same part no. as JZA70 or the 2JZ. Appears to be out of stock on Amayama.
    As far as I understand, the difference between this one and the others (JZA70, 2JZ, etc) is in the bracket and they actually output the same (0-5v 2 bar sensor) so in theory, the JZA70 and 2JZ MAP sensors (including the boost gauge sender on vvti models) should be pretty interchangeable...

Cheers Daddio, I'll order me a 2 bar sensor and hopefully everything will be running smoothly

Unfortunately everything didn't work out, a few map sensors later and still the engine is missing on high revs and it now seems maybe we have an issue with the original ECU which leaves me probably looking for another ECU cause i want the car engineered pass and that is a lot more simple with the original ECU.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Just a thought....we had a mystery high rpm miss on a 2JZ GTE which turned out to be one coil pack wired opposite. I have no idea why this would cause a miss given its a coil and shouldn't be polarity sensitive, but it did. Easy check that all coil packs are wired same polarity...
    Early 90's JZ ECU's are notorious for leaking caps, that may be worth a look too. Pretty easy to spot, goopy stains and/or corrosion around the base of the capacitor...

Thanks for the advice Daddio, we checked all the coil packs.
    Even after trying a few map sensors the ecu is telling us that the fault is still the map sensor but after trying so many and checking the wiring we think it might be the ecu.
    Had a look at the ecu but nothing seems to be leaking. Waiting on the electrician to come off holidays and come have a look for us, i can only try so many map sensors.
    One of the coil clips is worn out so i am ordering new ones of those as we speak.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Wiring issue? if it is the ecu it can be really hard to see the leaking caps, you have to get right in there and see if the bottom is bulging or blown out