Thread: How to: RA28 / KE70 hybrid steering column conversion for rack & pinion (also RA23)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice Jimmy's Avatar

Default How to: RA28 / KE70 hybrid steering column conversion for rack & pinion (also RA23)

First of all, credit where credit is due; Simon TwentyEight gave me the idea and significant instruction over Facebook messenger. I just did the work and documented the process for the benefit of others.

Finished the steering column conversion today so it will fit up nicely with the rack and pinion conversion. Have reposted a couple of photos so the full process is in a single update. Will post to the Toymods forum as well.

1. Remove lower inner half of each column (KE70 and RA2#). I did this for both by fitting a steering wheel I didn't care about and hanging it from the washing line. This didn't impress my better half. In retrospect, it would've been better to use the top of my engine crane. The RA28 one was significantly more difficult to get apart. At one point, as pictured, I tried using D shackles screwed onto the steering box flange and hammering in a rod that was slotted through. What ended up being effective was a short section of star picket, cut to be flat on both ends. Fitted in so that I could hammer as close to vertical as possible. The more it came loose the easier it got because it meant I could get a better angle. IMPORTANT - be careful not to damage the firewall cover plate.

2. Remove the circlip from the KE70 lower half and pull the bearing off. Before fitting the replacement bearing, a second circlip the same size as the original is required (Toyota part number 96152-00300) because the new bearing is slimmer. There is already a channel for it to slot into, against the shoulder the old bearing sat flush with (steering wheel side of the bearing). The bearing is replaced by a 6806-2RS. The 2RS is for it having a rubber seal on each side. I used an NSK bearing from Statewide Bearings (less than $20) because I prefer Japanese bearings to the Chinese ones on eBay. Refit the original circlip back in place once the bearing is in.

Continued next post due to 10 image limit...
    Last edited by Jimmy; 13-01-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: How to: RA28 / KE70 hybrid steering column conversion for rack & pinion (also RA2

3. The taper on both lower shafts is the same. No cutting or welding is required for reassembly. I would recommend sticking the low half of the inner column out in the sun, and the upper half in the freezer, for a couple of hours prior to fitting together. I started reassembling with it sitting upside down on the steering wheel but the old rubber KE70 wheel was absorbing too much impact. Took the wheel off and the wheel retaining nut and rested the end in a block of wood, to prevent damaging it. I then used the same star picket to carefully drive in the lower half, bracing the end of it where I'm pointing in the photo. I eventually realised that I was able to turn the uni join at a particular angle that permitted slotting the long leg of the star picket it and hammering from the top again. This made quick work of it. IMPORTANT - be careful as the bearing nears the outer column end. Until it slots in, there is free play in the inner column and hammering down with the bearing not centred would result in it being damaged upon impacting on the edge of the outer column. I found some random bits to brace it to ensure it was centred.

Really happy with the finished product. Looks almost factory. Total cost for job was less than $70 - for KE70 column, new bearing and circlip.

Last edited by Jimmy; 13-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: How to: RA28 / KE70 hybrid steering column conversion for rack & pinion (also RA2

Great how-to! The snap ring can be purchased new from Toyota as it's used on a wide variety of models. Due to how rarely the part is required, they only keep a few in the country at a time. Part Number 96152-00300 cost is $2.50 each.

Quote Originally Posted by sadisticsatyr View Post
    Great how-to! The snap ring can be purchased new from Toyota as it's used on a wide variety of models. Due to how rarely the part is required, they only keep a few in the country at a time. Part Number 96152-00300 cost is $2.50 each.
    Thanks for that info! I'll edit the original post to include it