Thread: Engine swap for RA40 Celica

Forum Member

Default Engine swap for RA40 Celica

I'm currently considering a variety of different engines for my 1980 Celica to replace the asthmatic 18RC in a year or two.

Ideally, I'd like something carby, N/A, reliable and period-correct that makes 120-130kw and preferably sounds beefy.

My ideas currently are an 18RG, 4AG 16V, 22R or 2TG. Ideally, I'd spend not much more than $4000 on buying and building the engine. Are there any other engines I should consider? Any of those I should write off the list?

I do still want to drive the car regularly, but I don't really care if the built engine isn't that easy to use in traffic. I'm happy to live with that for a good engine.

An 18RG is the obvious choice, but they are starting to get expensive and hard to find. Plus, I'm keen to do something a bit different.

Thanks!

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Engine swap for RA40 Celica

Your best options are the 18rg or the 22r. The 4ag and the 2tg IMO are just a bit small for the car. plenty of people getting really good power out of 22R (especially in the states). If you get this in time, there's an 18rg plus gearbox going on fleabay for a little more than your stated preferred budget, but it is a practical bolt in. 4ag and 2tg will require xmember changes and I'm not sure about the 22R. There's a possibiity that you could go 1gge (not a typo, not a 1ggte), but you are again looking at more engineering to get it in.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

130kw almost 200hp, not many of those engines will do that. Not without significant work. You need to consider something later like the 3sge perhaps. 22r has very limited potential for performance. Grunty low and a bit disappointing up top. 4age will lack the torque it needs in the ra40 chassis. Dare I suggest a 3rz? it would be superior in every aspect to the 22r if 22r was a serious contender. I know not carby but worth having efi for a car you regularly drive.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 11-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic