Thread: 3SG into RA40

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default 3SG into RA40

any clues appreciated. I cant find anything with a google search but I beleive I need a TA23 x-member. I've already got a 3S engine ready for rear drive, correct sump etc. . I've done plenty of conversions so I really only need very specific, detailed info, eg;
    Will the rear dissy clear??,
    Will the 2S ST142/SA63 engine mounts fit to the Xmember or do I need to mod it?
    thanks

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: 3SG into RA40

joel should be able to help you
    He made a lot of custom parts though for his 3SGTE conversion, including mounts, a water pipe thingy at the back of the engine, some bracket for the starter motor, he must have done something with the distributor relocation (i can't remember off the top of my head).
    Initially a ta23 crossmember was used but he changed to an AE86 R&P Crossmember.
    Sump was modified (but i don't know if this was necessary or not).
    this is the old thread if you haven't already looked through it, he detaileds quite a bit in there.
    http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...art=0&count=60

It was for an ra28...which is pretty much the same.
    Last edited by barned01; 05-06-2006 at 11:51 AM. Reason: mention it was for a 3sgte rather than 3sge

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I don't know how far you've progressed with the motor etc, but I have a buch of RWD conversion stuff.

Machined down bellhousing, billet flywheel (Gen 2+), Cut down dizzy (as crank angle sensor), RWD extractors etc. Probably a bunch of other stuff too if I dig around. PM me if any of this is of use to you.

As far as the specifics of fitting the motor to a RA40, Glenn should be able to point you in the right direction. Mine was in a Datto 1600, so probably not a lot of relevance to you.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hi guys ,
    I will soon undertaking an engine gearbox swap consisting of a TA41 chassis fitting 3SGE Beams engine and gearbox . The TA41 has mid sump type crossmember in it . The front sump Beams is a no go with this.
    I would be greatful if anyone can direct me on which crossmember and other parts I need to source minimise any hassles .
    The car will be road registered and used in club level motorsport events , track days , hillclimbs and gravel sprints .
    Thanks

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Hey 2dogs, As stated above, the TA23 cross member is the one to use.

Here is another thread you might find useful

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...968&highlight=
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

3SGE beams in a ra40 coupe
    using a JDM TA47 cross member same as a TA23 just sits a lot lower ! on custom mounts .

Hi, this is a really old post and the pics are no longer available. Do you still have them? I'm doing a 3sge into RA40 conversion and would really appreciate any advice you have.

Hello, I'm currently installing a 3sge in an RA40. The conversion is almost complete however I've come accross a problem that I want to research before moving forward. I've seen a couple of Youtube clips and people are saying the fuel pressure needs to be set at 62PSI however the engine manual test specifies a lower range. Does anyone know how to set the fuel system up. I'm proposing to put a pump in the tank, feeding the fuel rail and a regulator/return line after the fuel rail. I need to know what pressure/LPH for the fuel pump and what pressure to set at the regulator. Any advice is very much appreciated.
    RA40 3SGE
    RT132 18RG

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

if its a standard engine, there is no need to deviate from the factory pressure, no matter how you configure the pump and regualtor. Pumps like the Bosch 044 are far too big for stock 3SG. if you post some more details of the engine, i can offer some comments on suitable pump

It's a series 5 BEAMS 3sge. Stock. I have the workshop manual and it has a procedure foe fuel pressure test. There are two specs. (bothe tests are done with engine idling) First spec for test with vacuum sensing tube disconnected to the fuel regulator (33-38psi) second test is with the vacuum hose connected (27-31psi).
    So, as I said - that's the book. BUT - there are a few people on the web that say the pump needs to run at 62psi otherwise the engine will never run correctly. Therefore - before I go out and buy a pump and regulator - I really need to know (for certain) how to set the system up.
    RA40 3SGE
    RT132 18RG

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

With return line uses the lower pressure and returnless uses the 60 odd from what I've read.

This is not the advice I would have given. Normally, I'd have said go with factory specs but there are multiple versions of the 3sge, so I guess it could vary.