Thread: W50 into RT81

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default W50 into RT81

I'm putting this here because I have just done it and there are a few little issues. It's also a record for those that are planning on doing it. That said, I can't imagine anyone here wanting to actually keep the old 12R and slap a 5 speed behind it! Believe me, I didn't but I just didn't have the time to do the 3VZ conversion. Maybe, when I get the adaptor plate sorted......

Try and find a W50 with the same shifter position - it will come up through the transmission tunnel hole in perfect position.

It's actually not hard, but it does necessitate a new gearbox crossmember. The old one is much further forward and higher because of the totally different gearbox mounts on the old style W40 and newish W50. As a side note, the W50 manual gearbox mount is available new for about $35 via Mackays Automotive Rubber.

The bellhousing bolts right up. Only issue here is a small breather plate at the top of the bellhousing fouls with the case so I just cut it down a little.

The W40 has 2 studs to which the slave cylinder bolts up. The W50 doesn't have anywhere to bolt the slave cylinder to. This requires the fabrication of a mounting plate with some locating studs - I just used some 6 x 50 mild steel flat plate. I had to drill and tap a hole in the case of the gearbox so that the rear of this plate could be secured. Given that there is some adjustment in the slave, I just roughly worked out where it needed to go and just welded some studs in place.

The same tailshaft is used with no modifications.

I haven't driven it yet but I'm hoping it won't be as noisy at highway speed.

User Conversion King

Default Re: W50 into RT81

any ideas if this can be done for a RT40 corona...?
    hello

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: W50 into RT81

Not sure Brett.
    I don't think the RT40 4 speed is a W40 (well not on the really early ones anyway).
    Probably someone on the www.toyotacorona.com forums has tried.