Thread: 18rg using a holden/ford/valiant battery could damage anything?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice pwrn's Avatar

Default 18rg using a holden/ford/valiant battery could damage anything?

fry some wires? blow up the starter motor? alternator can't feed the batteries?

User Conversion King

Default Re: 18rg using a holden/ford/valiant battery could damage anything?

as long as the battery is 12V and it fits without chance of terminals touching the body, there wont be a problem.

a bigger battery means you can draw more power from it, for longer.
    hello

well it did touch the body for some time, the car acted like the speedo cable was damaged and i sorted it out, they say the battery has different number of lead sets inside something, why can't all of the car use bigger battery cos they sound more reliable and better

User Conversion King

bigger battery = more lead = more weight = less room in the engine bay.

providing your car has no starting problems, a large battery isnt nessesary
    hello

yah other 18rgu that i have in my orange r28 does have a starting problem, needs a toyota landcruiser battery to crank and the 23 needs a piss small battery, i suppose i'll toss the battery in the boot more weight on the back driftz0r

now 18rg powered... Grease Monkey 18rc turbo's Avatar

i've was running a au falcon battery in my ra23 with an 18rc for over 4 years. nothing bad can happen from having a bigger battery, you just get more cold cranking amps (CCA) and a bigger reserve of power.

Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit (thats -18 celsius) for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

I had a reasonable sized stereo in my car so needed the extra amps. If you have a very high compression motor a bigger battery can also help, because it takes more amps to turn the engine over to start it.
    3 x RA23's + 2 x RA28's = No Backyard!!

18r-g + straight lpg + t25 turbo + 14 psi = FUN!

The latest Toy : http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=807137

aahhh i see it kinds of makes a sense to me now about the 28 cranking issue, the 18rgu i dropped in, it was from a hot hilux ute, i had to replace the sump (hilux uses front sump) and oil pump to suit the 28 crossmember, you can never resist to look whats up, i saw 4 shiny pistons, looks brand new attached to brown/black conrods, crankshaft....? the 28 goes fast and hard, must be high compression pistons since it's so hard to crank my hopes r high now

now 18rg powered... Grease Monkey 18rc turbo's Avatar

hopefully i haven't got your hopes up for nothing, but if you do a compression test you will know for sure. As far as i know the 18RGU is meant to have a compression ratio of approx 9.2:1
    3 x RA23's + 2 x RA28's = No Backyard!!

18r-g + straight lpg + t25 turbo + 14 psi = FUN!

The latest Toy : http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=807137

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

The big battery will be no problem, but regardless of size the further from the engine you have it the better rated cables you will need to compensate for voltage drop.

If you need a Lancruiser battery to start the 18RG then I would be thinking there is a problem. Maybe your starter has issues or just too much resistance to the engine turning. Diesels will have double the compression you will see in you engine and lots of extra mass and ancilleries to turn. Even though diesel starters are geared down substantially to compensate there should be no need for the big battery.

On the VW beetle they recommended you depress the clutch before starting since this means the drive shaft into the gearbox does not have to be turned with the engine. With your foot off the clutch the input shaft on you gearbox also turns increasing the resistance to turning (assuming manual gearbox).

Does the engine turn really fast with the spark plugs removed on the standard battery? If not then try swap you starter motor with another or look for something binding the engine, since this may also be slowing your car down.

when i dropped the 18rgu in i needed to adjust the timing, it just kept crank then stop then crank like the battery was flat (i tried 2 different small corolla and celica batteries inculding jump starting), till i decided to take my mums landcruisers battery and the engine cranked like crazy like it was alive then i could spray aerostart and adjust the sparkies+time, it came alive then i switched to normal celica battery, i switched it off, then it started up all right, and it somehow ran out of petrol and shut down (oh and i was using a 18rc dizzy just to start up the engine cos no time to make my celica suit the electrical dizzy the 18rg came with) and after that i couldnt crank it with the normal battery so that makes me guess its high compression

i know it sounds messy i think i will start all over again with the proper dizzy set up and full petrol tank.

EDIT: it doesnt turn over fast with the spark plugs removed its same as if they were in
    will try swap the starter motor i have a spare one luckly!
    the drive shaft clutch thing while starting maybe works for only for 1960s crap rear engine cars? never thought doing a compression test would be so exciting and nervous! feels like i am gambling