Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo RWD 1MZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Turbo RWD 1MZ

Plenty of info about 1MZs around, so I bought one, and a 3MZ from a Kluger MCU28, and a 2MZ from OS.
    2MZ hasnt arrived yet.

I measured the cam lifts.
    Stock 1999 Camry 1MZ (AU). Cam lift 8mm (both cams), so wiki is wrong lol
    3MZ (AU) Cam lift 9.3mm in, 8.6mm out.
    So all those people that think 3MZ ex cams give you heaps more lift, its more like 0.6mm!

Valves and exhaust ports same on both, Intake port 2mm wider on 3MZ
    4AGE 100kw valve ratio = 0.747, 1MZ = 0.644, so ideally I want 29.5mm dia ex valves (stock are 27.3).
    MZ are 5.5mm stem which is a hastle, but stock beams ex valves are 5.5mm and 29.5mm dia, just need to cut down the stem and re-groove.
    MZ intake valve is bigger then 2JZ!

3MZ lower intake manifold has MUCH bigger rectangle exit ports compared to 1MZ round ports. 3MZ TB is 70mm ID but drive by wire. Will use XF falcon TB

The 2MZ and 3MZ block appears to be the same. Easy to cut a chunk out to fit to Y (W55-W58) or 5VZ (R150) bellhousing. I chose 5VZ with R150.
    In aus, the R150 is the short shaft one, so I got a custom flywheel with extended spigot bearing. 5VZ starter fits and works, but I have to recess the water jacket inspection plate (what is the point of that thing?)
    3MZ does not have the inspection plate.

If I was going NA I would increase the valve overlap from 6' to 12', but as its for boost, I will leave it alone.
    I will measure the 2MZ cams when the engine arrives.

Conrods:-Pauter make rods but the price is silly! I found 2GR / 2TR rods are the same as 1MZ rods and the price is ok.
    Pistons - will get custom CP. Flatlander.nl sells Wiseco pistons for 3MZ
    Head - Will port and remove some squish area.
    I got custom ARP head studs already for it. 2 have to be cut down slightly to clear cams.
    Manifold - short runner to suit RWD (need engine in the car)
    Turbos - twin t28 or single 3576
    Boost - 18psi, 8.5:1
    Target - 500hp, 3500-7000rpm
    Car - Secret

Pics soon

Default Re: Turbo RWD 1MZ

Decided to cut a head in half. Not much room for big ports!

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/samkaos/library/

Celica Pilot Conversion King Gold28's Avatar

Nice. I'm doing a rwd 1mz for my celica. Keeping it fairly standard internally but with light fly and itb's.
    Looking forward to see how you get on with it.
    What car is it going in?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Enjoyed the head cut photos, thanks for sharing!

Will throw in some information I have to share.

- A 5SGTE 87.5mm piston works with the 1MZ, you just need to machine 1mm off the crown. Provides approximately a 9.5:1 compression ratio. CP Pistons SC7451

- There is a SBC (??) inner valve spring that a few of the USA 1MZ/3MZ MR2 guys have used as upgrades. I have a set of these at home and will post the part number when I dig them out. They are like $75/set.

- The 2ZZ-GE exhaust valve is 29mm and has the same stem diameter. They are longer too so can be used with reground cams.

- 1ZZFE shimless buckets fit the 1MZ/3MZ Heads

- I cannot remember the source for this, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Stock Head Flow = 264 CFM @ .450 lift on Intake and 147 CFM @ .450 lift on Exhaust

And I'll share this collection of power curves based on a Toyota sourced data (Compiled over on MR2OC by Gouky)

Awsome info.
    As far as I can tell, 2AZFE 2.4 valves are 29.5, same stem dia and just need shortening too.
    Looking at the ports carefully, I could weld up the intake under the inlet externally and grind down, but instead I am just going to take 1mm off the side walls, and the centre divider.
    The exhaust will get the guide lumps and guide ground out, the inside of the curve at the seat, and a little off the divider.
    I will remove 2 of the squish areas in the head. With the 5S pistons, that might give me 9.0:1 (9.5 would work for me)
    I used 2in ID alloy intake pipes for the turbo beams manifold (which made ~500hp), and a 3.0 is same cc per cylinder, so I will make a new intake using 2in pipes.
    I used 1.5in steam pipe on the beams turbo manifold, will use that and port match it.

I wont be cutting my 3MZ head in half, but from what I can tell, the only difference is 2mm dia bigger at the external of the intake port.
    Still waiting for my 2MZ.
    Might get cam regrinds, 240-250' with 10mm lift.
    There is some Honda valve springs I am looking at.
    It might end up in my IS200. Maybe with the 3MZ bottom end. Should be 40-60kg lighter then a 2J and 0.3L bigger.

Had a look at the 3MZ headers, Nasty!! Stainless pipes on steel plate, don't match the ports at all. I will get some pics.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

I have a pair of 3MZ heads that could be donated to the cause of dissection.
    They suffered oil starvation (via sludging) and destroyed both the camshafts and the cam journals.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    Had a look at the 3MZ headers, Nasty!! Stainless pipes on steel plate, don't match the ports at all.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Epic Trump tweet.

Hi Sam, I love this idea. Lighter with same cubes as 2j sounds perfect, as I like the idea of 2j power but not 2j size or weight for any car I would want to steer.

Was that a 2mz head you sawed in half? Those exhaust ports are weird almost forming an expansion chamber in the head the way they taper back to a smaller outlet size.

The 2az had headers with what I dubbed a crimp collector, its like a merge collector except it has undersized pipes crimped like taco shells to fit into a catalytic converter within 5 to 12 inches of the head. So uneven length, check, restrictive design check, too much weight check. Toyota you've done it again. Made from stainless was the only saving grace but it was still far too heavy. Half my exhaust system weighed about what the old header/cat thing used to.

It was a 1MZ head I cut up. Keen on getting those 3MZ heads to cut open if your close to brissy.
    Yes the exhaust does look like it has an expansion chamber, which sounds like a bad idea to me. You want a cone from the valve out, so extractors can suck the exhaust and get high velocity at the valve.
    I wish I could port the roof of the ports, but not much meat to the valve spring seat. I will probably build up the floor Motoman style
    http://mototuneusa.com/homework.htm

Not happy using 24mm OD valve springs. Considering the buckets are same dia as 3SGTE, I might machine the heads to suit bigger springs.

Update:- Engine is mounted in my KE70, Runs and almost ready to drive. Just need to do BOV, oil drain for turbo, and clean up the wiring.
    I ended up using a 2MZFE engine (for legal reasons), Stock returnless fuel system (by using an external regulator with no vaccuum correction), 3VZ bellhousing on R150 with custom flywheel (to hold the spigot bearing), Turbosmart wastegate set to 7psi on a GT3576. Modified stock cast manifolds, and 1.75in crossover pipe with flex joint. Custom plenum, 20V ISC at the rear, 2MZ throttle body at rear left.
    S13 crossmember with KE70 control arms, R34 rack ends, AE82 tie rod ends, AE86 PS arms, RT142 PS steering uni, custom PS lines. Custom mounts.

Oh, and I removed the ignitor and fitted 3MZ coil packs.

There was no body mods required (No hamming of firewall etc). I did have to slot 2 of the mount holes for the S13 crossmember. The KE70 crossmember placed the steering uni dangerously close to the starter motor.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Good on you for keeping the updates going. I love this build.